RESTORATION THREADS-PLEASE READ!

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 am

I would like to ask the moderators' indulgence for a moment since this may not be totally 100% on topic. There has been a discussion going on in the Suggestions/Feedback forum about how to add and update discussions regarding members' restoration progress on their Cubs and other machines. Here's a link to the discussion: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79845

Anyway I have started a thread about my white demo Super A to show how it works. Basically after I started the thread I created a link in my signature line that will carry the click-er directly to that thread. This makes it very easy for me to find the thread in a week/month/year when it is several pages down, in order to add updates. Then when I add an update, everyone gets to see because the thread will pop back up on top of the list, where it will be easily noticed. Five years from now when the job is done, everyone will have the entire "story" of what went on, all in one thread.

Also, as Rudi pointed out, to keep your sig. line tidy, you can "bury" the URL so that readers don't have to see all the http://www stuff: [url=(insert url)]Insert Name of Thread[/url] (I know just enough HTML to be dangerous so this is a nice feature to me!)

There are some neat projects going on among members, and hopefully folks that are doing a project will take advantage of this. It is a good way to keep everybody informed on what is going on. It is especially nice because it makes it easy for you to go back and update your progress--all you have to do is click the link in your signature. And most importantly, it eliminates the need to add another forum to the website! :D

Al

Re: RESTORATION THREADS-PLEASE READ!

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 am

Since most restorations are Cubs I think this is the best place to post this. Thanks for posting this. It sure will make it easier to follow a restoration with everything in one thread.

I will sticky this for now so more members will see it before it disappears onto page two or three.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Al,

Thank you for taking the bull by the horns and taking on this idea/project. Impressive start!

The rewards of doing as Al has outlined will reap many benefits for the restorer and the community -- I think we all love history, or else we would not own a piece (or pieces) of it.

Dennis

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:44 pm

I would say too that I don't think you have to be doing a "leave no bolt un-turned" restoration to take advantage of this. For example since I have owned my Cub The Paperweight I have done several odds and ends to it worthy of discussion--but by no means a restoration. Maybe you're doing an engine rebuild, a valve job, adding a deluxe seat, or overhauling the PTO. Or all of the above. This is a good way to chronicle things you do to your tractor and share your progress with the group.

Al

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:16 pm

I really like this, and thank AL and all you others for getting this going. I know one of our biggest rewards for all the time, energy and money spent on these beasts, is getting some recognition from our fellow addicts!

I'm curious, though, is there (or can there be) a LIST (with links?) that could show all the "Restoration" threads? Sort of like the "Gatherings and Calendar" link? Otherwise, the only way to know there is one, is to either see it when it is first posted, or notice it in someone's signature. That way, if someone is getting ready to launch a restoration, they can click on one that might be similar to get valuable information.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:57 am

Dale Finch wrote:I'm curious, though, is there (or can there be) a LIST (with links?) that could show all the "Restoration" threads? Sort of like the "Gatherings and Calendar" link? Otherwise, the only way to know there is one, is to either see it when it is first posted, or notice it in someone's signature. That way, if someone is getting ready to launch a restoration, they can click on one that might be similar to get valuable information.

Dale, that is a good idea; especially as we are starting to get more of them. A new member Nic also suggested something similar.

Let's see what we can come up with that will work for everyone.

Dennis