This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter Drive

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ThomD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Starter Drive

Postby ThomD » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am

My Cub tractor has the original Delco part, and now it needs to be replaced. I see a few for sale on Ebay, are they all compatible? Some say Delco on them, but the nose does not look identical to the part just pulled. In my case the part broke at the grove that holds the circle clip. So maybe the nose has been beefed up?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter Drive

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 am

A good auto electric shop, should be able to get the part. (Starter/generator shop) Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:26 am

Thom:

I would strongly suggest that you do not replace but repair. We have an AC Delco authorized repair shop here in Moncton. They have done a bunch of work for me already and Tom is really good at it. Him and his partner bought the business that they worked for 30 years approx 2 years ago. They have a lot of skills and do top notch work at reasonable prices. Far better than what you can get on :eBay:

You can send it on Maritime Bus and have it brought back pretty cheaply like the old Acadian Bus Parcel charges. I can PM you the info if you want. Simply let me know.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:02 pm

You gave very little information, do you have a 6 volt or 12 volt?
Hamilton Bob will have a 12 volt most likely and DeFarmall cubs will have the 6 volt one.
Both are dependable. You also did not state where you are. Unless you know the re builder I would stay away from them. Most will not have anything for a cub in the way of the cast parts. We want sell a 12 volt starter without a Rebuild-able core, they are that hard to come by. 6 volt is a bit easier to get hold of.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 pm

David:

He is about 2 hours west of me in Fredericton NB area. Don doesn't ship to Canada. Far cheaper for him to send it here and get it redone .. or see if there is a shop closer. The AC Delco shop here is highly qualified and has an excellent reputation as well as standing by their work. Tom is a great tech.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:36 pm

K Rudi, when they dont give there location hard for me to tell where they are :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 pm

David:

Only reason I know is because he is looking for parts in NB and mentioned he was in the Fredericton area. Otherwise a crystal ball I don't have :lol:

ThomD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ThomD » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:41 pm

I am near Minto. I have a guy who does our tractor work who is excellent. He has some parts, but couldn't find this one. He asked us to get a new starter drive. I called the parts supplier I happily use for most stuff. Starter drive is 160 plus plus. The Ebay ones are 33 dollars. The end is sheared off the current one, and the mechanic who has many skills did not offer to fab it back to life. I am either going to need to get the one for 160, or one from ebay. The current guy already has the job and has never let us down. In the past parts we have gotten from IH don't always fit our 1950 tractor all that well, and they never look that good compared to the old stuff. My unit is in the 112xxx range from 1950 from what I can tell, and it is 6 volt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Farmall-Starter ... 416869837e

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Thom:

If that is all you need then I would go for it. TM doesn't stock that part. Not sure if Columbia does. Who is your regular supplier??

One thing you have to remember about :eBay: .. USPS First Class International Priority Mail is advertised to deliver in 2 business days. In reality because of the border issues with both USBP and CBS it usually takes 14 days to get here. Having it come via UPS is going to be really expensive -- their custom fees are horrendous. I learned this the hard way.

ThomD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ThomD » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 am

I learned that over an over with UPS. But, recently they are reformed. They are the provider now for various well organized entities, and they give one a price, and that is what it costs, and the service is great. But, I would not just get someone to send me something without that pre-disclosure one price. While I got bitten a number of times by UPS, I would also point out, that their service looks so bad because the Post Office is subsidizing the process, which is great for my parcel costs, so far, but not necessarily a sign that others who are costing back the customs costs are ripping us off. The post office does not seem to be collecting the tax, which leaves foreign providers with an edge. Recently I have been getting stuff from Asia, free delivery from ebay. How the heck does that work. Anyway, thanks for the head's up, as you say, it can be very expensive if one gets the wrong shipper.

Return to “Farmall Cub”