This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pressure testing radiator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pressure testing radiator

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 pm

$150 for a good used one
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 pm

kjoiner wrote:...
So it looks like I'll need another front casting and I'm probably going to replace the radiator as well. So here are my questions:

1. What's the best way to support the tractor while removing the front casting? It looks like the front end is supported by the underside below the steering gear. I'm assuming I probably need to bolt to the bosses on the side of the engine rather than place blocks under the oil pan.
2. Since I'll be pulling the steering gear apart, what seals and other items will I need?
3. Is the front crank seal pretty much a pull and replace job?
4. As far as sourcing a new casting, I see Steiner has one but it's around $360. Are there other sources? I'm in the Atlanta area. What's a decent price on a front casting?
5. Any other tips or tricks?

1. You can support the front of the tractor with either blocks under the engine, have the engine supported from overhead (sling load), or by bolting braces into the torque tube. Any way you go, use caution!
2. There is a seal on the bottom of the gear box, a seal where the shaft comes in, and two gaskets. Replace them now if you have oil leak issues. There are also 4 bushings in there. So if you have slop/play in the steering, check them out as well.
3. The front seal isn't really a "pull and replace" job. It isn't too bad, but special tools and considerations need to be taken before jumping into this one.
4. Place a want add on the forum. You'll get a few hits, if someone doesn't contact you first.
5. Since you have to pull the hood, drain the fuel first. Have a couple saw-horses handy to set it on. Replace the governor spring while things are open and easier to get to. Oil the fan housing.

Check out the "how-to" section for threads on topics you've asked about here. Many good ideas and tips can be found there!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 am

Kyle:

kjoiner wrote:
1. What's the best way to support the tractor while removing the front casting? It looks like the front end is supported by the underside below the steering gear. I'm assuming I probably need to bolt to the bosses on the side of the engine rather than place blocks under the oil pan. How To Safely Disassemble A Culti-Vision Tractor
2. Since I'll be pulling the steering gear apart, what seals and other items will I need? TC-37A (5-2-49) - Chassis
3. Is the front crank seal pretty much a pull and replace job? TC-37A (5-2-49) - Engine
4. As far as sourcing a new casting, I see Steiner has one but it's around $360. Are there other sources? I'm in the Atlanta area. What's a decent price on a front casting? - As Raymond said - Wanted - register with same userID as here, go click on link in activation email, log in and post your want.
5. Any other tips or tricks? - There are literally hundreds and hundreds. You have to be more specific .. but suggest you peruse the CBoK and the How To Forum
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Just to clarify, you do not need to pull the crank pulley to replace the bolster.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 pm

you do not to take the front pulley off
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 pm

bythepond88 wrote:Just to clarify, you do not need to pull the crank pulley to replace the bolster.

But if the front seal leaks it is the perfect to take care of it. Otherwise, definitely leave it alone.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses. My main concern when pulling the bolster is safety and properly supporting the tractor while the bolster is off. Since the rear wheels will still be on, I shouldn't have the issues that are shown in the picture with the tractor tipping - pretty scary. I'll probably build some type of support cribbing to hold the front end up. The tractor is in a pole barn type building with doubled 2 x 10 rim joists so I'll probably use a strap as well just in case. I think I'll leave the crank seal alone. If it leaks at all, it's very slight. I'll check out the wanted section for a bolster and see what comes up.

Kyle

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:30 am

Kyle, Whatever you decide have a plan b, if the first one fails......Fail Safely...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello,

I welded up a jacking bracket to lift the Cub so I can remove the front end. I've got the two ends of the tube sticking out so I can place my jack stands under it once it's jacked up. I just need to get some more boards since it's on gravel.

Kyle

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3827/9487 ... 935b_m.jpg

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Shoot, he sent me a message and I missed it. Well, I picked up one of the ones from Steiner, so it looks like I'll be a test subject. I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Will I need an impact wrench to get the original bolts off? Also, how much torque is used when reinstalling them?

I also picked up a new radiator and gasket along with gaskets and seals for the steering box. I can tell you that the Steiner casting already has a bronze bearing installed for the steering gear shaft.

Kyle

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:17 pm

I did some checking in the specifications PDF file and it looks like the torque is 150-170 ft-lbs. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Kyle

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Kyle:

I don't think so .. that is way too much. More like 35 ft lbs.

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:44 pm

HI Rudy,

I think the 35 ft-lbs is for the base plate that goes under the main housing. I'm thinking those 5/8 bolts have to be pretty tight since they support the front end of the tractor. I haven't tried breaking the original ones loose yet and that may tell me a little on how tight the were at the factory.

Kyle

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Kyle:

I don't make this stuff up ... that is why I referenced the Blue Ribbon Service Manuals. It is very clear that the two cap srews on each side which actually hold the front bolster to the engine casting are called out in paragraph 3 to be torqued to 35 ft lbs. Any more than that and you may risk busting/stripping the casting. The block is already prone to cracking there as it is a known weak spot. That is why we use ear supports to strengthen that particular area.

Return to “Farmall Cub”