This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rusty rims near rear wheel valve stems question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rusty rims near rear wheel valve stems question.

Postby pgmrdan » Mon May 30, 2005 7:48 pm

Does rust near the valve stems on rear wheels necessarily mean calcium chloride was used at one time? As long as the tires are holding air should I be concerned?

The rims have been painted over, possibly to hide the problem.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dan
Last edited by pgmrdan on Mon May 30, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 30, 2005 7:56 pm

I would say that rust near the valve stem is a very good indicator that calcium was used sometime in the past. It is impossible to tell from the outside just how extensive the corrosion may be on the inside. If you are content with the appearance, you can probably get by for years with no problems. On the other hand, you could dis-mount the tires and check the rims. Perhaps a good cleaning, wire brushing and coat of rust resistant paint might make the rims outlast your tractor. The monetary investment is minimal, the labor investment is another matter. You can fix 'em now or replace 'em later. :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 30, 2005 7:58 pm

You are going to some rust near valves no mater what. There is flexing and rubber moving against paint. If you have calcium filled tubeless the liquid should cover the whle of the metal all the time. If Tube type It need not but you are losing weight by not being full.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Mon May 30, 2005 7:58 pm

CALCIUM chloride was most likely used.

to tell if it is still in there, see if you can lift the tire. if not, then yes, theres calcium in them.

try to get the bubbles off with a grinder + wire wheel, wear a face shield and gloves if you value yourself :)
Aaron.

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon May 30, 2005 8:23 pm

Sorry! I know sodium chloride is table salt. I meant calcium chloride. Brain fart! :D

I went back and edited my first post.

Thanks.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Rusty Rims

Postby Eugene » Mon May 30, 2005 10:03 pm

Dan:

If you are thinking about purchasing the tractor, scrape off the paint around the rusty area if the seller will let you. You should be able to lift the paint and flaky metal with a pocket knife. If the underlying metal is solid the rims are probably ok.

Rims can be repaired. New sections welded in. I have filled small rust holes, not around the valve stem, with JB Weld. New replacement rims are available and can be expensive to very expensive.

Having said all that. I have a really bad rusted rim on a working tractor. It was that way when I purchased it 3 years ago.

http://www.valu-bilt.com Value-bilt is located in Indianola, Iowa. Get on their web site and order their free parts catalog. I use their catalog as a reference.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”