This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Alternator Terminal Identification

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Alternator Terminal Identification

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun May 29, 2005 8:05 am

My 51 Cub had been converted to a 12v negative ground alternator system when I bought it. However, I don't believe the alternator was ever connected properly. It is a Toshiba alternator.

There are 3 connections: a bolt (labelled "B") and two spade lugs (one labelled "L", and the other not labelled). I understand that the B post goes back to the battery. The spade lugs are where I am confused. I found archives that identify spade lugs on a Delco alternator as #1 and #2, and describe how to wire them up (#2 is a jumper back to the B post, and #1 connects back to the ignition switch). However, I'm not sure how to relate that to my alternator.

Is anyone familiar with this alternator and can you tell me which terminal my "L" lug is?

Thanks alot.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Alternator Terminal Identification

Postby Patbretagne » Mon May 30, 2005 3:06 pm

Paul_NJ wrote:My 51 Cub had been converted to a 12v negative ground alternator system when I bought it.

Thanks alot.

All cubs can't be perfect!
Seriously, it's a personal choice that the previous owner took, but the little six volt system works so well on the little big-hearted tractor, why did he bother? Can you find a cheap set of 6 bits?
Otherwise I can't help sorry :oops: :oops:
Pat

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon May 30, 2005 8:18 pm

When I bought my 55 the PO put an alternator on it but didn't know how to get it to charge.
It's a Hitachi. The two spade lugs are S and L. The S is horizontal and the L is vertical. The S (sence) gets connected to the battery lug and the L is used to excite the alternator. The L needs to get a momentary shot of 12 volts to start the alternator charging. I used a momentary push button switch but a diode can be used wired to the ingnition switch.
8)

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue May 31, 2005 5:15 pm

Donny

Thanks much, that's the information I was hoping to find! Mine is a Hitachi also - I was trying to remember without going out and looking and got it wrong. Now maybe I'll be able to start my Cub without a jump start - it just wouldn't charge! I'll follow those steps and finally get it wired up right this week.

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Farmall Cub”