This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrolysis Tank Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Electrolysis Tank Question

Postby Soldner » Sat May 28, 2005 2:40 pm

Hey, i tried firing up my tank today, and i'm not getting any bubbles.. I also don't have any charging showing up? Is the tank working, or what could be wrong?! Thanks

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 28, 2005 2:44 pm

No bubbles, no current flow - no workee. Is your solution fresh? Connections good? Try moving the rusty part and the anode closer together to stimulate some current flow.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat May 28, 2005 2:55 pm

Mine is conducting so well that I can only use 6 volts. !2 volts causes the charger to overload. I think setting a tank up is as much art as science. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Sat May 28, 2005 3:00 pm

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that my problem is in the positioning of the part to the anodes.. Its a fresh solution. (filled today). I will try moving my part closer to the anodes, and hope for the best. I got some reading but it was so slight i didn't think it was enough, but going back on the forum to Feb, i found 2 the 3 amps would be sufficient. I was just off 0. So something was happening.. THANKS AGAIN.. I'd be lost in the dark without everyone's advice!!!!

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun May 29, 2005 6:54 am

I've found the biggest potential problem is poor electrical connections. Make certain all connections are not slightly corroded, and are bright and shiny. Check your voltages with a voltmeter first at the power supply, but then also at the electrodes themselves. Mine worked fine last year, but then I rewired it this Spring with some improvements I saw in Rudi's design, and it wouldn't work. I found I had bad connections between the wiring and my electrodes (rebar). Once I wire brushed the attachment points, everthing worked again fine. Because we're talking low voltages (6-12v) , performance is much more resistance sensitive than if it were line voltage (110v). I also found that if you're using a chain to support the part, make sure it not a very small one - mine really heats up, indicating excessive resistance. Even though it may seem thick enough to hold the weight of the part, it may not be sufficiently thick to provide adequate current flow.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rvbarkley » Mon May 30, 2005 6:15 am

Actually using a piece of chain to suspend your piece probably isn't the best because of the multible connections it creates. (each link is a connection and a loose one at that) For the best current flow a piece of wire and good tight connection, (clamp) I would think is better. (I use copper and cheap beam clamps, on the rods too) Just my .02....Roger B.

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Mon May 30, 2005 6:22 am

I have never got mine to work, I thought it mite be
my charger. Ihave a 10 amp automatic and I
thought the automatic may be my problem.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon May 30, 2005 7:32 am

I have run a pretty fair amount of stuff through my tank. Including my front wheels. Here are some of the tips I can offer (some may have been covered).
Clean connection! I put a clamp (wire connector, like a jumper cable clamp) to the part and clip the charger lead to that (so may be only partially submerged if at all) But the connection on the part must be clean (not too rusted) it will eventually make a good conneciton, but if you get the rust and paint off where you connect it will work much better.
Small chargers work ok, big ones are better. Even then I think I have maxed out at about 4 A with near perfect conditions.
Clean anodes daily. Just run a wire brush over them.... BUT after time, even with a lot of iron left they just give up. I would guess that you could clean em up with a wire wheel, but I just get new ones (should use the old rebar to stake up the peas?)
I hang the parts from a dowel with insulated wire.
MORE ANDODES. My big tank is about 15 gallons and I have 5, more is better.
Yet to clean the tank after months.... I do sometimes add water.

Good luck!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon May 30, 2005 2:52 pm

English/American ignorant brittany french breton speaker, What's a rebar please?
Pat

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon May 30, 2005 3:10 pm

Pat
Rebar is the steel rod that is put in concrete when it is poured to reinforce it. It is made from recycled steel/iron, is kinda a low grade, inexpensive steel that has a knobby, bumpy, surface. Normally comes in 20foot lengths, but can be found in cut lengths as short as 12", and comes in various diameters - 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" etc.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Mon May 30, 2005 3:19 pm

OK Yes got you, in UK reinforcing rod and in France armature. Weldmesh in UK Trellis in France for the sheet version welded in squares,

Thanks Pat

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 30, 2005 3:45 pm

Rebar, short for "reinforcing bar". I also hear the word "remesh" once in a while for the other stuff you described.

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Mon May 30, 2005 3:55 pm

In the business we also call it rerod.

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon May 30, 2005 4:40 pm

Mac from NS wrote:I have never got mine to work, I thought it mite be
my charger. Ihave a 10 amp automatic and I
thought the automatic may be my problem.

Mac, I use an automatic 10-amp charger with a 15-amp guage on it and I have seen the guage go as high as 12-amp while cleaning parts. I do not use re-bar, I prefer a flat wide object that I can bend a curve in if needed. I found 10 old (1950) military stainless mess-hall meal trays at the thrift store that is my favorite to use now because of all the different reflection angles from the separated food partition angles. Oh, This was just to let you know that an auto-charger will work unless I just happen to have the OLD tough model.
Then came Bronson

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Mon May 30, 2005 6:12 pm

does anybody have a picture of this e. tank that i could lookat.