This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

disk plow colors

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

disk plow colors

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 27, 2005 9:10 pm

I realized today that it is just 2 1/2 weeks unitl I leave for cubfest, and I hadn't done much to get my rear disk plow ready other than just taking it apart, so I decided to let the rest of my projects ride unitl i got it ready.

Soaked it down good with Por Marine clena and fired up the pressure washer. Found blue paint in spots which I was expecting since I was told it came new with a 48 cub. Started doing some serious clenaing, and as the dirt, grease, lichen, etc. started coming off I found red paint where I thought there was just rust. A little more and I found specks of white (cream?) on the rear wheel. Very puzzling since a 48 should have been all blue. There was also blue here part of the red beams clamped togehter. the combination of colors would look good, but I don't feel like doing all the work to tear it down and get the colors right, so I decide it would be all blue anyway.

Turned the washer down to a pinpoint stream to clean some of the caked grease off, and found blue under some of the red. apparently it had been repainted the later color scheme at sometime in it's life. Now I don't feel so bad about the decision to paint it all blue. Hopwfully it will be apinted and reassembled in the next week or so.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Fri May 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Be sure and post a photo when it's finished.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 27, 2005 10:01 pm

I haven't dug too closely into colors of some of those early post-war implements. I am under the impression that blue may have been substituted for red. Thus the black, cream etc. parts may have still been those colors. Not sure what original colors were called out for the disk plow.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 27, 2005 10:08 pm

I had some computer problems and have lost them, but Jim Hudson found some color decisions that indicated all blue until late 48 or mid 49 (I forget which), then the changes to red. since there was blue under some of the red, and also where some of the partially red parts were put together I am assuming all blue originally, though red, blue, cream would definitly be prettier.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 27, 2005 10:28 pm

I think they get back into the red paint some time not too far into '48, but who knows how long it took for red equipment to ripple out to the dealers. Don't know how long a dealer may have had the plow before selling it either.

Having blue inside where parts were clamped together makes it pretty conclusive that yours was one of the all-blue in the first place. A lot of the repainters seem to cover everything with red.

The disk itself was probably varnished in any case.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat May 28, 2005 5:33 am

The 152 disk plows I've dissassembled have red beams and blue disk bearing assemblys. FWIW
Best,
Mike

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat May 28, 2005 10:02 am

My opinion is Farmall painted like most of us. The way they wanted to. I can remember very well seeing parts laying all over the floor in the parts department of all colors. You may buy a blue plow and go back for weights for the plow wheel and find that they are not blue. As more parts came in the colors changed. Dial up John don't click here when you are in a rush. http://users.vnet.net/jamhudson/pics/28%20Disc/Blue%20plow.bmp
Young man for work, old man for advice

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 28, 2005 11:43 am

Spare parts for implements were always subject to random paint colors. Since implements were mostly painted after assembly, individual parts were only painted at the factory if they were spares. It looked to me that when most spares went to the paint shop, they got painted with whatever was already set up.

Some spares came unpainted. Happened with tractor parts too.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 28, 2005 9:06 pm

Decided this would be a good time to give POR 15 system a test. Cleaned it with Marine Clean, then used Metal Ready. today I sparyed it with 2 coates of the POR 15 primer. I'll let it dry for a day or two and turn everything over and do the other side. did have to use a prybar to get a couple of pieces loose from the boards where some of the POR had gotten under them. That suff sure gets hard.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 28, 2005 9:12 pm

Looks good John.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Sat May 28, 2005 9:57 pm

John, Here's how I painted my 152 plow, even though yours is 151.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5058328&uid=2547102&members=1
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 31, 2005 8:07 pm

The Por is cured, and I have thr trailer pulled around ready to use the hoist to reassemble, but need to clean the rust and Por out of the threads on the square nuts I saved, but cna't find my 5/8-11 tap. spent 3 hours looing for it, and checking stores in town. Looks like I will have to make a 70 mile round trip to Framington to get one. OH, BOTHER!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 31, 2005 8:25 pm

Relax John, when you finish your 70 mile round-trip, you'll be able to walk right in and pick up the old tap from where it's hiding.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Tue May 31, 2005 8:36 pm

Bigdog wrote:Relax John, when you finish your 70 mile round-trip, you'll be able to walk right in and pick up the old tap from where it's hiding.
Been there, done that. :roll:
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Return to “Farmall Cub”