This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

replacing points issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1990caprice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40508

replacing points issue

Postby 1990caprice » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 pm

hello today i replaced the points and condenser on the cub the old points were in terrible shape. probably the reason the engine is getting no spark. well got the gap correct put the rotor assembly back on put the cap and wires back on, and hooked the spark tester back up and no spark. i read the on here the points have some sort of film on them for storage i guess. so i took it back apart and took the points off to clean the contacts with some cardboard and rubbing alchohol put them back on and now i cant adjust them they just touch each other. anyone had this happen? should i try to bend the spring thing back somewhat? thanks for any advise

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: replacing points issue

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:45 pm

1990caprice wrote:now i cant adjust them they just touch each other. anyone had this happen? should i try to bend the spring thing back somewhat?
I almost hate making any comments on the subject.

Absolutely do not bend the spring.

Engine #1 cylinder TDC. Mark distributor base and housing for rotor location and distributor location in housing.

Distributor out of engine, on bench, in vise. Loosen the screw holding the points to the plate. Rotate high point on distributor cam until the points rubbing block rests on the cam lobe. Gently tighten screw holding points in place. Use small notch in end of bottom points plate to adjust the point gap. Set gap to .020. Fully tighten screw.

Check to see that the condenser lead is not touching the distributor base. The condenser lead is on the inside of the insulator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

1990caprice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40508

Postby 1990caprice » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:08 am

sorry i figured the spring shouldnt be bent. i guess i should have specified it was on a magneto as well. when i set them to begin with i turned the engine over untill i felt comepression from the first cylinder and the pointer touched the notch on crank pulley. i thought i did it again but obviously was wrong i did notice the second time i tried to set them the shaft that connects to the rotor assembly was positioned so the points were closed while before they were opened... i guess beginners mistake. thanks for the advise

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:30 am

When you attempted to adjust the points the second time, did you by chance rotate or adjust the magneto on the block?
It really doesn't matter what cylinder is at TDC when you set the points, just as long as the rotor high point is pushing against the spring leg. Set the points to .013 for the Mag.
Then, loosen the mag and rotate it fully towards the block. Rotate the engine one full revolution, then set the number 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke (pressure on the spark plug hole) and align the mark on the pulley with the pointer. The rotate the Mag away from the block until you hear the impulse click. Tighten up the Mag, and ensure the rotor is pointing to the Number 1 spark plug wire tower.

Return to “Farmall Cub”