This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Flush Tranny and Rear Ends?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Flush Tranny and Rear Ends?

Postby DieselDennis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:13 pm

I've given myself a soft goal of having the tractor atleast drivable by July 4th. Having some family in that would really get a kick out of seeing the tractor run again.

I'm about to get the engine running. Then I plan a visual inspection of the clutch, and change the fluid in the transmission and rear ends.

My question is, would it benefit anything to go ahead and drain the old fluid in the transmission and rear ends now? And fill them up with diesel fuel for about a week, and then drain the diesel and fill it with the good stuff? My thinking is that the oil in there has been in there for atleast 20 years. Very likely could have gelled up and could be sludge-y, so the diesel would help thin it out.

Sound good? Any other reason to do this? Can't hurt anything, right? Am I paranoid?

I'm not even going to tip toe in to the HyTran vs. gear oil debate...
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Flush Tranny and Rear Ends?

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Diesel fuel/kerosene will help clean them up some. Works best if the Cub can be run around for ~10 minutes and then drain it out and replace with gear oil. Resist the temptation to drain what is in there and then filling the trans/diff to the top to let them soak for a while. You will find that the axle seals leak (would do the same with gear oil) because you overfilled. Bottom line, I would wait until I could run the Cub around for 10 minutes to splash the diesel/kero around to clean things up.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Flush Tranny and Rear Ends?

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Since tractor is not currently running on it's own power. I would drain the transmission/differential. Remove the transmission cover. Check to see how much crud is in there. Use 2 or 3 cans of brake cleaner to remove and flush out the crud. You might be able to get a lot of the crud with diesel fuel and a one gallon hand held pressure sprayer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”