This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cooling System Thermosiphoning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cooling System Thermosiphoning

Postby ScottyG » Thu May 26, 2005 10:27 am

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question on how much coolant is acceptable to be losing out of the radiator without getting too concerned about overheating. Everything I've seen on this board indicates that the coolant level should be approximately 1.5" below the neck. That said, every single time I'm mowing, the coolant system is siphoning through well enough but I'm also losing coolant through the overflow. Just the other day, I put about 1/2 gallon of coolant in to bring it back to level. If I don't do this, I can't even touch the coolant that is in the radiator with my fingers.

Part of my lawn is on a terraced slope which makes me think that if I hit the hillside right, this will just promote the overflow action. Maybe in my case, the level should be 3-4" below the neck?

BTW, the tractor runs like a swiss watch and is timed perfectly.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu May 26, 2005 10:38 am

Scotty, you must have a leak to be adding half a gal. (almost 25%)..does the level hold at 2 qts low?

I changed the coolant in my radiator last week. Good idea to mix the coolant and water together in a bucket before you add to the radiator, as the thermosyphoning won't mix it together.

Keep Henty cool 8)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu May 26, 2005 2:16 pm

Arizona,

No, no leak. It's all coming out of the overflow, that's for certain. I know because I get hit in the face with it periodically from it being sucked in by the fan. Perhaps my RPMs are too high and I should be mowing a few notches slower?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 26, 2005 2:26 pm

Scotty,

Like Mike said make sure all the coolant is premixed before adding it to the tractor. The system will not mix the two. The anti freeze will set at the bottom and will not mix with the water. That means the thermosiphon will not work correctly. I had the same problem as you. I drained the rad and mixed a new batch of brew and refilled to the proper level. No problems now :!:
You should mow at full throttle as per mower instructions.
8)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu May 26, 2005 2:41 pm

Pure water and pure antifreeze have different boiling points unless they are mixed. As goofy as this may seem, it will create a problem!

As far as overheating goes when the coolant isn't to blame, there is not enough air flowing thru the radiator or the coolant is flowing too slowly. The likely culprit is the radiator, crud is clogging it up inside and/or outside. Check the fan, make sure the belt is spinning it and there should be a shroud around it.

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Thu May 26, 2005 6:20 pm

When is the last time you had the radiator rodded ? If all else fails, pull the radiator and have it rodded (also a chance to clean the buckets of mud under the radiator). And every one is correct. Water and coolant dont mix when you don't have a water pump, my '18 T and 30 A Doctor's coupe have the same problem, so I mix it all up and pour it in...good luck
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Fri May 27, 2005 6:45 am

Thanks for all the great advice guys. When I had Henry apart last year, I flushed the radiator out pretty good by disassembling it and hosing it out. I also flushed out the coolant system in the engine too. I inspected the cooling fins on the rad as well and did not see any problems. New fan felt and the fan spins fine.

Before refilling, I also premixed the antifreeze and water and the only time that I really have ever separated the two was when I just brought the rad back up to level by adding a 1/2 gal of water. This was after I've been having a problem. I do know that when I refilled after refurbishing, I used old antifreeze. Not used antifreeze, mind you, just an opened container that had been in my garage for several years. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but it could be a lead.

Maybe I'll just take all of your suggetions and "mix a batch of new brew". It can't hurt right? 50:50?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri May 27, 2005 8:58 am

I use a 50-50 mix in everything, as I'm sure most of you do... even in the southern tropics. I use the last empty jug and add 1/2 the contents of the next jug and then fill both with water. I mark the jugs 50-50 so I'll know it's diluted. Then it doesn't matter how much I use to top off a system... it's always mixed thoroughly to the right proportions.

Just a refresher of what you already knew! :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”