This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Could Someone Explain Timing To Me Please ? ? ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Could Someone Explain Timing To Me Please ? ? ?

Postby bythepond88 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:24 am

Actually, the first notch to reach the pointer is at 16 degrees before TDC. It is the notch used to check the advance on the distributor. When static timing the distributor to TDC, you want to use the second notch.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Could Someone Explain Timing To Me Please ? ? ?

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Ironlegs, very good description and explanation but you need to change which notch does what.
Ironlegs wrote:...Therefore, the first notch to reach the pointer indicates top dead center (TDC) of the first cylinder piston OR half a turn from TDC. The second notch to reach the pointer indicates sixteen degrees behind these positions.

...... A spark timing light can be applied to make fine adjustments to the timing of spark plug one at idle speed (first pulley notch) and sixteen degrees advance can be checked with the engine running at full speed.

bythepond88 wrote:Actually, the first notch to reach the pointer is at 16 degrees before TDC. It is the notch used to check the advance on the distributor. When static timing the distributor to TDC, you want to use the second notch.
ricky racer wrote:Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”