This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve Ruddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rear Tires

Postby Steve Ruddy » Mon May 23, 2005 12:42 pm

One of my rear tires went out and I was wondering where you guys buy your tires. It is a Goodyear Super Sure Grip Tractor 8-24. Also does this sound like it could have been an original tire? Any tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Steve Ruddy
Guerneville CA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Steve do you have calcium filled tires? Some people in order to get weight to increase traction, fill tires wih a mixture of water and calcium chloride. The calcium is heavier than water and prevents freezing.
If you have filled tires you probably need a professional farm and off road tire guy do the change.
When I worked in Alaska some of the over the tundra vehicles stored fuel in their tires. I gave traction and used what would otherwise be waste space.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Steve Ruddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Steve Ruddy » Mon May 23, 2005 1:07 pm

Yes. I think it was just water since we live in Guerneville CA where it doesn't freeze. The local tire shop that doesn't carry tractor tires suggested if I find one they can mount it but suggest I fill it with water at home with an adaptor made for that. So I will also need to locate an adaptor for that.
Steve Ruddy

Guerneville CA

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Mon May 23, 2005 1:35 pm

Steve
I have one of those tires and have been looking for a match for it. It is in really good shape with lots of tread on it. Maybe one of us could sell the other there tire.
give me a private message.
Chad

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Mon May 23, 2005 3:00 pm

try these places:

Distances may not reflect actual driving distance.
1. 41 miles Bert Williams & Sons Inc
525 North Bay Drive
Napa, CA 94559
707-255-7003

2. 48 miles Fleetpride Heavy Duty Experts
3051 North State Street
Ukiah, CA 95482
707-463-2600

3. 49 miles Bert Williams & Sons Inc
3032 Sonoma Blvd
Vallejo, CA 94590
707-552-4464

If they dont have them, they should know where to go

David C.
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 23, 2005 6:58 pm

beaconlight wrote:When I worked in Alaska some of the over the tundra vehicles stored fuel in their tires. I gave traction and used what would otherwise be waste space.

Bill

Must have been tough trying to keep the fuel hoses from kinking. :!:

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:13 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
beaconlight wrote:When I worked in Alaska some of the over the tundra vehicles stored fuel in their tires. I gave traction and used what would otherwise be waste space.

Bill

Must have been tough trying to keep the fuel hoses from kinking. :!:

they used dielectric grease... duh
Aaron.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 23, 2005 9:17 pm

There were swivels and seals through the hubs. They were monsters. I could stand in the rim and my head would not touch the other side. I think they pumped the fuel out by air pressure into day tanks that ran the engines.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Rear tires

Postby Eugene » Tue May 24, 2005 12:03 am

Try a different tire shop. Local tire shops may not have the 24 inch tire in stock but should be able to order one for you.

Rear tires are easy to mount. You can save yourself quite a few dollars by doing it yourself. Beside that you can clean up and paint the inside of the rim. Last Cub rear I changed took about 4 hours total and that included cleaning up the rim, painting, paint drying and tire mounting. Most of the four hours was waiting for the paint to dry.

Some where around $115.00 for a new tire and tube.

Eugene

Steve Ruddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Steve Ruddy » Tue May 24, 2005 11:16 am

Rear tires are easy to mount. You can save yourself quite a few dollars by doing it yourself

Eugene,

I think I would like to try mounting myself. Can you tell me how you go about it? Did you use a tube or go tubeless. Also did you use water and if so how did you fill it.

I have found several tires that I can get locally. For anyone who wants to know my rim is a W7-24. It is good for use with 7-24, 8.3/8-24 and 9.5/9-24 tires. I may not buy both rear tires at once so I'm going with an 8.3-24 hoping it will be allright with my existing 8-24.
Steve Ruddy

Guerneville CA

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 24, 2005 3:15 pm

Tubeless is not an option, especially with fluid filled tires.

All you need is a couple of good tire irons and a hammer to break the bead. Be careful if this is your first time out changing a tire. Hammering on a rubber tire can cause strange bruises to appear if one is not careful.

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Tue May 24, 2005 3:54 pm

Steve,

If the tires haven't been changed for a while they could be difficult to get the bead to break off the rim due to rust, etc. I beat on mine till I was blue in the face, sweated profusely, swore a lot and they never budged and I was using a big sledge. I used, after asking on this forum, a 10" c-clamp to break the bead and it worked like a charm. The second tire was easy after that. It has been discussed a few times on this forum so I'm sure if you did a search you will find the how-to's regarding rear tire changes.
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

Steve Ruddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Steve Ruddy » Tue May 24, 2005 5:23 pm

If the tires haven't been changed for a while they could be difficult to get the bead to break off the rim due to rust, etc. I beat on mine till I was blue in the face, sweated profusely, swore a lot and they never budged and I was using a big sledge.

I just got back inside and your absolutely right. I used a big sledge hammer and it wasn't easy. I wish I saw your post first! I found a local dealer that has Alliance tube type in stock so I'm going to look at them tomorrow. He also has a sample of the Firestone Track Feild and Road R-1 that I can look at as well. I definitly will let them do the mounting since it's free. Thanks for all the good info. I'm suprised there wasn't more though. I guess people don't like going over the same things too much. I hate searching through old threads it's frustrating and too time consuming.
Steve Ruddy

Guerneville CA

Return to “Farmall Cub”