Field prep, bed shaping, plastic laying, transplanting!

Sun May 05, 2013 4:32 am

My Cub and the hitches and implements I made for it had their first real test last weekend, and much to my surprise everything worked. I ran the Cub pretty hard for, I don't know, probably six hours and it did a ton of work without complaint. I had two friends coming to help transplant tomatoes last Saturday, with rain coming on Sunday, so I darn well had to get everything ready on Friday!

Here are some pictures of my implements and field prep sequence, this is for about 2/3 of my tomatoes.

This field had never been used before so I'd turned the covercrop/sod under with a course, shallow rototilling a couple weeks earlier.

Spring-tooth harrowed, with a 4' section I took from a 100-year-old 12' horse-drawn harrow

Doing some deeper tillage where the tomatoes are going

Chisel/S-tine on rear 3-pt hitch

Beds raised

Bed shaper on belly 3-pt hitch

Laying plastic

Plastic layer

Water-wheel transplanter. I was particularly surprised that the Cub handled this one, I wasn't sure if I'd have to borrow a neighbor's tractor. But the Cub pulled it just fine, up hills, down hills, slowly enough that friends could sit on the back and stuff the plants in the holes.

Re: Field prep, bed shaping, plastic laying, transplanting!

Sun May 05, 2013 5:38 am

Nice layout....I'm really envious of your soil....If I had that much plowed up I'd spend the next 10 years hauling cobblestone :bellylaugh: ....I haven't tried plowing with "Cubby" ....I might get a fast hitch plow and see what happens one of these days...I expect it would get caught in the rocks and be to tough on the tractor :mrgreen: ...Anyhow good luck with the tomatoes...Last year was a rough one .... Dave

Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 am

Oh yeah I almost forgot....Nice job on your implements...You may want to post the schematics etc on the how to site....The hitch must be real handy as is everything else....Cool....Dave

Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 am

I'm impressed with your set up. It works really well!!

Sun May 05, 2013 7:37 am

That is a very thought out set up there. You should be very proud , great job.
Boss

Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 am

you the man!

Todd

Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 am

Like Boss said, looks like everything is well thought out. And it looks like it works as planned. Good job.

Sun May 05, 2013 9:09 am

That is a good looking setup. As said well thought out, and well engineered.

Mon May 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Me thinks the man is an engineer worthy of NASA

Mon May 06, 2013 10:06 pm

David:

It is obvious that not only do you know what you need, but how to set it up and implement the plan. I am really impressed :D ... Cubs can do a lot more than conventional wisdom says .. Very well done :!: I have a feeling you will do well with them tomato's. I like the transplanter, but I am really impressed with the plastic laying setup.

Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 am

Nice job on everything.

Tue May 07, 2013 6:12 am

Very nice. Wow! Great thread, and great work. Thanks for sharing.

Tue May 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Any chance of getting some up close pics of that nice point and plastic layer. That would help a lot of us that have been wanting to use our cubs for plasticulture.