This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Radiator changes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pmetzger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12725
Tractors Owned: '50 Farmall Cub
'71 Int'l Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Radiator changes

Postby pmetzger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:59 pm

I recently ordered a Clancy radiator on Ebay for installation in my '71 Int'l cub (s/n: 238320 J). The replacement radiator was about 1/4" shorter then the existing unit. Due to the shorter height installation of the side channels was not possible.

cub radiator photo 1 samll.jpg
cub radiator photo 1 samll.jpg (78.27 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

The new radiator on the left is 13 1/2" between the arrows. The old radiator on the right is 13 3/4" between the arrows.

It appears that IH changed the radiator with the change to square hood. Clancy does not make the newer version.

Has anyone come across this issue and/or knows of a solution? One possibility is to fabricate a 1/4" plate in the shape of the gasket and install between the casting and radiator with two gaskets. 1/4" would need to be removed off the top of the side channels.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

glennhuff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97458
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Re: Cub Radiator changes

Postby glennhuff » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 pm

I went out and measured my Clancy replacement radiator, and it is 13 1/2 inches just like yours. I also measured an international radiator (I think from a 50s cub)and it measures 13 3/4. I don't have the original 49 radiator here at the house, but I would bet that it is also 13 3/4. That being said, I didn't have any problem with the hood supports fitting on the Clancy radiator. I looked and there is 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance between the top of the supports and the bottom of the tank. I did have to replace the Clancy filler neck with the original, as it was about 1/2 inch shorter, and the cap hit the hood. Maybe someone else knows of a change in the hood supports.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 am

Is the Clancy made in Ireland? I have seen some mention of of Irish radiators but have not seen one except in photos.
If the side supports do not fit, could the bolt holes be elongated? What about a bottom spacer under the radiator about 3/16 thick with a gasket on both sides? That would raise the radiator about 1/4". Neither aluminum nor steel would be ideal material for such a spacer, but either would last for several years. Steel might be the better choice since electrolysis is quite vigorous if aluminum and copper should be in actual contact.
I have a Cub radiator made in China some number of years ago, but have never installed it.
Had to replace the radiator in one of the cars here and the aftermarket replacement is from China. Looks a bit different from the original but it fit and performs perfectly.
Last edited by Bus Driver on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 am

There were some changes to the neck along the way. I found it when I went to install a square hood on my 65 Lo Boy, couldn't close the radiator cap without scratching the paint. The hood had a steeper crease than a 'normal' square hood. I had a radiator shop extend the neck on an aftermarket radiator (got the new one from TM). The whole thing puzzled me.

It seemed to be the difference in the neck, but could be IH changed the overall dimension? I noticed my 71 has a similar neck to the one in your picture, taller than the others.

The whole front end of the 65 Lo Boy had been replaced, probably including the radiator, but not sure when the radiator changed. The bolts didn't line up with that hood, so I used a different hood (probably the one that was on the Lo Boy to begin with).

The 71 with the original radiator, notice the cap is way above the hood:
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am

I don't think a spacer is going to help because the side supports go ON TOP of the radiator flange.

As I understand the main issue is that the side supports won't fit in between the flange and the top tank.

pmetzger
10+ Years
10+ Years
'71 Int'l Cub

Postby pmetzger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 pm

The Clancy radiator is made in Ireland.

I think steel would be the best bet for a spacer.

The side channels would have to be cut down 1/4 or so in order to fit the shorter radiator.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 pm

pmetzger wrote:I think steel would be the best bet for a spacer.

The side channels would have to be cut down 1/4 or so in order to fit the shorter radiator.

You would have to trim the bottoms of the side channels or also move the welded nut for the hood brackets. Seems like it would be easier to just trim the tops as needed to clear the top tank and get the filler neck extended.

Is there a problem with the fan shroud too?

pmetzger
10+ Years
10+ Years
'71 Int'l Cub

Postby pmetzger » Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 am

Yes, the 1/4 would come off the top.

Good point about the shroud. The hood may be impacted too since the welded nuts will also be 1/4 inch higher.
I'll have to mock it up and check if it will all work.

Pain in the neck. Seems crazy that ih would make the radiator 1/4" higher to accommodate the square hood styling change.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 am

Interesting, I changed the radiator on my early '79 using a Clancy as replacement. I DID have to grind down the tops of the radiator supports for a proper fit, however, on reassembly everything fit properly to include the radiator cap. The only thing I didn't like about the changeover was the orig. had a 4 tube wide core and the replacement only 3 tubes wide :(

Gary Orr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44483

Postby Gary Orr » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 am

Send it back. Put a new core in the old one. :{_}:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Easier said than done in most areas. There aren't many/any good old fashioned radiator shops around anymore that will do that sort of work. All they want to do is sell you a whole new radiator.

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 pm

I went to the Links page on the Clancy Radiator website and it provides a link to the A&I Products website
http://www.clancyradiators.com/links.html
I went to the A&I Products website and found the listing for the Cub radiator. That A&I Products listing shows the same drawing as the ebay listing and provides the dimensions for the drawing as well. The drawing dimensions show the core height as 13 3/4".
https://www.allpartsstore.com/ItemDetl.htm?B2BSessionID=130501069838147&CategorySeq=S&SelcBrand=CIH&SelcMachn=TRACTOR&SelcModel=CUB&SelcSectn=C&SelcSubsc=C22&SearchItem=1&TextSearch=&ItemNumber=351878R93
I might e-mail Clancy at the address listed on their contacts page sales@clancyradiators.com and ask about the discrepancy.
Circle of Safety

pmetzger
10+ Years
10+ Years
'71 Int'l Cub

Postby pmetzger » Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 pm

I will do that. Thanks for the leg work!

Gary Orr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44483

Postby Gary Orr » Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 pm

They still recore truck radiators,that would be the place to check

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Well, not sure what to say .... Multi Rad here in town recores all kinds of rads from reefer units, trucks, off-road heavy equipment, cars and Cubs. They even have the pressure testing plate for the Cub rads. Multi Rad is also a Gas Tank Repair facility.

Googled Radiator Repair Shop in Claryville NY

Highland Radiator Repair
A & S Auto Radiator

are a couple of hits, there are more on the google page. Hopefully that will help. Unfortunately I am not all that familiar with NY State so not sure how close these are to you.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”