This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Beaconlight's disk

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Beaconlight's disk

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 19, 2005 5:26 pm

Here are some shots of Bill's disk. (Didn't know where you wanted them Bill so I stuck 'em here!)

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 19, 2005 5:45 pm

Thanks BD. I lashed 20 paving blocks to give the disk some weight and it worked. Joey had asked for them in another post.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu May 19, 2005 5:54 pm

:twisted: Looks like it mows nice. grass has a nice even looking cut to it. :twisted:
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 19, 2005 6:33 pm

Mow grass with a disk harrow? Should I use even mor di-electric grease? You learn more and more about how California does things every day. But then again we have Allen laying stripes with his Cub in NY.
Yes the grass is green but the last time that was cut was last fall with a 6' brush hog. We had a wet winter but a very dry spring. What with all the flood damage 2 months ago it is hard to believe that we are close to having not enough moisture to germinate crops.
That area is subsoil from when the PO dug the pond 30 or more years ago. Couple of times I was tempted to lime and fertelize it but I quickly came to my senses when I remembered that I was the one to cut it.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Fri May 20, 2005 8:49 am

Thanks for the pics, Bill. The set of disks looks just like mine. You've got me itching to go out and cut up some ground, but we just need a little rain....... :(

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri May 20, 2005 11:42 am

beacon, how does your Cub do at pulling that...looks like too much for it :?

are those 9.5's on the rear :?:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Fri May 20, 2005 8:34 pm

Yeah, what George said. I was scratchin' the back of my head, wonderin' the same thing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 20, 2005 8:49 pm

I recently sold a pull type like that (wish I hadn't, didn't like the lift type near as well). I had a concrete block on each gang for weight, and pulled it with no problem. I believe a cub could handle a 5 foot disk with no problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Fri May 20, 2005 9:22 pm

Pulled with absolute no problem. A friend and I took it apart, replaced 8 disks and all of the grease fittings. 7 of the 8 would not take grease, even with them unscrewed. At first I thought that the fittings were on plastic risers but it turned out to be hardened old grease on the steel tubing. The originals were 45 degree angle grease fittings. We found that 1 of them was so hard to get at that way so we replaced that 1 with a 90 degree.
Where I had plowed was a real washboard. I could not adjust the TSC plow to the 1050 correctly so that the second furrow did not fall into the previous one correctly. The cub pulled the disk smooth as silk. I have weights on all 4 corners. I had been prepared to use a drag as well but after 2 passes it almost looked as if I knew what I was doing. That means the old beech I was going to cut down will have to wait to be taken for firewood. I have 20 acres of woods 10 of which were high graded 15 years before I bought the place in 1985. The other 10 were a real rough corn field during WWII, then pasture and finally abandoned. There is a REA power line through there too. What with thinning and species selection I take all my heat from the woods. There is a lot of poplar that I have removed, a lot of Beech and soft maple none of which have much commercial value. Some of the beech has beech bark canker so that goes first. There is a little brown and yellow birch as well as ash, cherry and shag bark Hickory. Strangely enough there is some ironwood 14 inch DBH as well as a lot of Hop Horm beam. I don't have much use for cudgels so the horn beam is of little use. If I had a great need for wagon shafts the Ironwood would come in handy. Fortunately it is heavy enough to make up for the poplar.
If you havn't figured it out by now I love that 40 acre piece.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Sat May 21, 2005 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Fri May 20, 2005 11:38 pm

i have on like that 8) its even got the rust/red paint mixture :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aaron.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat May 21, 2005 5:57 am

Wow, I've been to Staten Island once in my life, and I never saw anything that looked as peaceful as that place. Guess the tour guide didn't know what he was doing...
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 21, 2005 7:44 am

Easy to find. Just west of Staten Island Mall is Latourette Park. Right by the park is the corner of Richmond Avenue and Richmond Hill Road. From that intersection, you drive 150 miles north northwest.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 21, 2005 7:59 am

Those pictures are my country place in Franklin NY. Staten Island was like that when I was a kid though. There were a number of dairy and truck farms.
Jim add another 22 miles and you are there.
You mention Richmond Ave and Richmond Hill Road. That was where Crampanas had a large Vegetable farm. It is all houses now. The Dinger farm was just east of that on Richmond Hill road. It is part of the Staten Island Mall, houses and a Grade School Just north of that was Demataras Farm. Where I live was part of the old Casio farm and Nursery. Behind us in 1959 was all open fields or woods and across the creek a guy ran sheep. I used to keep a 22 propped up in a corner of the kitchen. The newly weds suppimented their diet with phesant. We live in one of "the older neighborhoods" with a 50 X100 lot. There is another 10 feet from the property line to the curb. Newer places would have at least a duplex on that much or even 2 duplex.
It sucks! Only reason I am still here is parent old age and problems. If you can't take of your own, Who the h__l are you?

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 21, 2005 8:34 am

beaconlight wrote: If you can't take of your own, Who the h__l are you?
Bill
Agreed! Even though I really liked where I used to live, I moved back to my orignal home area several years ago when my father had terminal cancer, and have been caring for my mother off and on through some of her health problems. It's like the picture of the little girl carrying a small boy almost as big as she was. The caption under the photo was" No sir, he ain't heavy, he's my brother." We live in a rural, failry low income area where most of the people still have the old time farm attitude of when you need help I'll be there before you have a chance to ask. That helps a lot also.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 21, 2005 11:48 am

Part of SI I live in is mostly people born here. Some of them I went to school with. One neighbor I was at her sweet 16 party. That attitude exists here. My fathers neighborhood is that way too. Most of the island no way.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”