This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cole planters and other planters for cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gpcubboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62362
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub "Virgil"
1939 Ford 9N
193 Cub Plow
189 Club Plows
1919 McCormick Deering M gas Engine
Numerous Y's, WI's B&S Engines

cole planters and other planters for cub

Postby gpcubboy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I have ran across cole planters advertised as fitting a farmall cub. My cub is not fast hitch but has touch control with hydraulic rock shaft. I found a planet Jr. recently and was wondering about using it to plant sweet corn with some bracket fabrication. I have been told it will work others say i will be disappointed in performance on sweet corn. I saw some photos of cole planters mounted under the belly of cub and rear mounted ones as well. Are they considered pull type or can they be raised with the rock shaft up and down? I saw some pictures of mccormick deering two row plate planters on steel behind a cub. Are there any particular models of cole single row, mccormick deering or IH two row plate planters I should be looking for to fit my needs? You have to realize my experience planting corn is with a John Deere 4230 and 7000 finger pick up planter.
Thanks,

Chris :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cole planters and other planters for cub

Postby Super A » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm

If you have had to work with a 7000, bless you!! (I drug one across our farm for years from the time I was in middle school until I was 30 and it is a planting machine for sure but absolute misery to work on!)

Cole planters are popular but I personally do not like them. They are only slightly less crude than the standard Cub belly-mounted planter but lack the "coolness factor" of the Cub unit.

Personally I would look for an IH 185, or if you don't mind JD, a JD 71. They both look very similar to each other, have disk openers, and can run all kinds of plates which are still easy to find. I have two 185's, one in pieces and one needing a little work, and I intend to use them for sweet corn and so forth behind my Cub or Super A. Even without fast hitch, it is a simple process to adapt some brackets to the rear cultivator arms to raise and lower the planter. The JD 71 will probably be a little easier to find than the 185.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”