This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Longer Bolts for rear Rockshaft bracket?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
joemcc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28127
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub Red Sq Nose

Longer Bolts for rear Rockshaft bracket?

Postby joemcc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 am

I got all my parts over the weekend for the rear rockshaft unit and moldboard plow. Yesterday afternoon, I removed the belly mower, installed the rockshaft unit, plow, depth gauge and plowed the garden successfully. My only question is this; when installing the rockshaft bracket, the seat bracket has to be mounted in the same holes, so do I need to buy longer bolts? I was able to bet them tightened several turns and they all held fine, but I would think there would be longer bolts for the thicker base of the bracket and additional thickness of the seat bracket.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Longer Bolts for rear Rockshaft bracket?

Postby cub47 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 am

I would suggest to do so since you have added the extra weight and force of lifting the plow, you can never be too safe. I am assuming you are referring to the support brackets for a deluxe seat. Those 3 threaded holes on the top of the transmission housing for mounting the rear rockshaft are not open ended and do bottom out.

The bolt size used before mounting the seat brackets is 1/2-13 x 1 1/2.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 am

Joe, my seat bolts on one cub without the rockshaft is 1¼" long. The Cub with a rockshaft is 1½" long
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 am

Forgot to mention that you will also have to shim up the opposing seat bracket with washers or spacers to make sure that you are sitting level after adding the rockshaft.

joemcc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28127
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub Red Sq Nose

Postby joemcc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can get the longer bolts somewhere local.

The seat isn't level now, but can't say it bothers me too much, but that could just be from the excitement of plowing with my cub for the first time. I was amazed at how well it cut through roots and turned good furrows. Going to plow a friends garden this evening and then switch over to the disc and harrow. Will then need to come up with a layoff plow of some sort.....probably a homemade deal. This tractor is so much more fun than the old Jubilee.

Return to “Farmall Cub”