This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

replacing the points ????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

replacing the points ????

Postby baldwindiesel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:29 pm

I have been busy with my new toy: 1959 CUB named "Argale" after my grandfather. Anyway, I got the carb problems fixed with all your great help but after installing it and cranking my heart out I discoverd I had a non- sparking issue. Since the push button switch had been replaced I started there but that didn't fix the problem. So, I pulled the grill, hood and tank, and dashboard and wired the two wires together and still no spark. Pulled the distributor cap and it looks like my points are HISTORY ! DO I PULL THE ENTIRE DISTRIBUTOR OUT, SHAFT AND ALL TO REPLACE THEM??????
I made a new CUB friend today, right here in town I saw one sitting outside and he had just got it. I determined that his was a 1948 with manual push button lift and no hydraulics or electric lights. It had belly mower, decent paint, but when we tried to turn the engine it broke the pin of my hand crank ! A stuck engine. I advised him as to his options ATF, raise the rear wheel and turn in gear, etc. He stopped later and returned my crank repaired and said he took the starter motor off and was able to turn the engine over. He had a lucky day too !
Thanks for the help !

Baldwindiesel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: replacing the points ????

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I have replaced the points with the distributor in the tractor. You need a short screwdriver and long patience but it can be done. Try that first and if you can't get it then remove the distributor.

I had the same stuck engine problem with my recent Cub as your new friend. Pulled the starter and the engine cranked

Don't forget to make plans for May 31 and June 1 to be here for the Bash. A good chance to meet many of the forum members, learn about Cubs and have some great food and fun. Bring the family as well as the Cub.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 pm

I find it faster and easier to install the points and the set gap with distributor removed from engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 am

I agree with Eugene! I've done it both ways but prefer to remove the distributor. Along with replacing the points & condenser, it's a great opportunity to check out the advance weights & springs.

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 am

If you remove the distributor, it will pay dividends to read the "How to". Speaking from experience, there is an easy way and then there is all the other ways.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=14504

I cannot explain it too well, but you want to pull the entire distributor as an assembly as in the picture below. Pull it slowly, because the T-shaft thing will want to pull out and you do not want that. On the other end of the T-shaft is a gear. If the shaft pulls out, it may take several tries to get it back in on the right tooth. If you split the two halves of the distributor assembly, getting it set up right takes even longer.

Picture courtesy of TM Tractor
Circle of Safety

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:16 am

I replaced the points in mine without issue with it on the tractor. I have a magneto with an external coil. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I also replaced all three clutch finger adjustment bolts through the hand hole. :D

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 am

It's a little tight, but you can replace the points without having to tear the tractor completely apart. Like said earlier, all you need is a stubby screwdriver, and nimble fingers.

If you haven't done it before, it might be a good idea to put a clean sheet on the ground underneath the tractor to catch dropped screws.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:04 pm

after you get the screw that adjusts the points tight make sure the points are still at .020
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Farmall Cub”