This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C-3 Int mower question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
grinnergetter
10+ Years
10+ Years

C-3 Int mower question

Postby grinnergetter » Tue May 17, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi guys, started rebuilding the mower deck today and noticed one of bearings seems to be bad. My question is shouldnt the bearings have a dust cover of some sort. My set up seems to be protected by grease only. I sand blasted the deck and there is yellow paint under the red so it may not be that old of a deck. Any sugestions are appreciated.
If you aren't fired up with enthusiasm...you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vincent Lombardi

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 am

gg,

I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a cap or some other type of protection device....but all 3 of my decks are just like yours. :?
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed May 18, 2005 6:31 am

I got quite an educaton about bearings when doing the snowmobile 'overhaul'.

Bearings come in all kinds of configurations when in comes to 'shields' on the sides. I lost the link for the bearing mfg that did a good job of explaining the various shields and so forth. I even got in a bit of a brawl with Kaman over a simple pair of bearings that I ordered, they sent a different brand with the wrong shields. They come in aluminum, rubber, stainless and can be sealed and unsealed etc.

The key is that what appears to be the 'right' 6205 bearing (for example) could be very wrong for your application. The identity of the shield is usually that very hard to read number of the side of the bearing. Unless you know or can reasonably guess what kind it is, it may be wise just to get it from the manufacturer, who will know the right one to use.

One thing to keep in mind is that dealers sometimes don't know the difference either and will sell you what they have in stock. If you have the bearing in hand it will be easier to get the right one.

This was the long way to say, that bearing may not need 'external' protection if it was specified right at the factory. It could be a sealed bearing.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Wed May 18, 2005 6:47 am

I have yet to see a tapered bearing with a shield???? I may learn something new!!!.....

When I rebuilt my C-3 with DANCO spindles I used Timken bearings/races L44610/L44643; CR seals #12437; and new star washers from Case/IH.

Peter S
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub
1963 cub

Postby Peter S » Wed May 18, 2005 6:48 am

grinnergetter,

If you are referring to the spindle bearings on the mower deck, they definately should have seals on the top and bottom of the spindle. The bearings are two piece, tapered roller bearings and as far as I know cannot be gotten with a seal or shield.
Peter

1951 Cub, 1963 Cub