This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub transport. Tie downs on the castings?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Cub transport. Tie downs on the castings?

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue May 17, 2005 6:36 pm

I figure that all the travel coming up with Cubs in tow means that you guys know something about tying one down.

I was thinking a eye to the flat equipment mount holes on the transmission/clutch would be a good idea. I think the hardware store has a good selection of forged eyes that one of em may do the trick. I saw that ArtC has a piece of flat stock drilled with 3 holes.... 2 with bolts to the 'flat' spots and one with a chain 'link' that appears to be used to tie it down with. .

Any suggestions?? Now that I have paint on the Cub I am not going to run a come-a-long wire over the top of the torque tube when I do transport the Cub.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue May 17, 2005 7:19 pm

That is probably not a bad deal (until it goes above the start price). I should dig up a photo of what ArtC has on his cub. Simple but effective, same idea as that ebay item, but only the flat stock with a hold in the end for a chain link for attaching a chain or whatever.
Last edited by Buzzard Wing on Tue May 17, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 17, 2005 7:24 pm

I have 2 pairs of those (didn't come from e-bay). I have not had a chance to use them yet but I believe they will work fine.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue May 17, 2005 7:51 pm

Here's an idea from a group member, Whit Middleton. It looks good to me... I have 2 of them. I don't know if Whit still plans to make and sell them.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 17, 2005 7:55 pm

George, I have one of those as well and I agree, it works very well. Curly has travelled extensively with one of those.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue May 17, 2005 9:02 pm

I use something that is cheep and readily available. Threaded forged I-bolts.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 17, 2005 9:10 pm

George I see that you are using tapered head inplement bolts. Do they ever loosen? Would a long bolt with a lock keep vibration from loosening?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue May 17, 2005 9:33 pm

beaconlight wrote:George I see that you are using tapered head inplement bolts. Do they ever loosen? Would a long bolt with a lock keep vibration from loosening?

Bill

Bill,

That's Whit's tractor. I do it differently. For the cultivator bar I use regular bolts with the end reduced in diameter so they don't mushroom and make removal difficult. They have to be too long for a lock washer to be effective or they won't clamp the bar.

When I find one that's mushroomed I run them in as far as possible and cut them off on the inside using a SawZall. That avoids damaging the threads.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Kudzu
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kudzu » Tue May 17, 2005 9:45 pm

Why not use nylon straps?? Granted my cub ain't purrty but that is how I move it around. Unless a strap was loose it's not going to damage paint is it?

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 17, 2005 9:50 pm

I meant to say lock nut with the long bolt. I am the nut that left the nut out of the posting. That Idea of running musahroomed ones in, then using a sawsall is real genius. I had debated about using ground ends on grade 2 bolts , I had also considered grade 8 bolts. I gave up on the grade 8 idea for fear of damaging beyond repair the casting threads. Hey I just had an idea, could a helicoil be used there or is the casting too thin at that spot? I don't remember and my cub is 173 miles north west.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 17, 2005 9:51 pm

Whit's bracket looks like a good idea for somebody that is a better welder than I am. For holding something in place in the front implement socket, the best choice would be a setscrew. IH wasn't very consistent on that, using a setscrew for the mower but not much else. Setscrews won't mushroom on the inner end either.

The eyebolts are OK as long as you are careful about the strength limits and keep it oriented correctly. The one that WK posted has a shoulder, which is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for this use. Ones with no shoulder are only usable for a straight pull. Even the ones with a shoulder are severely downrated at an angle. At a 45 degree angle, they are downrated by 75 percent. So the 4,300# rating of a 5/8 forged eyebolt ends up pretty low if you pull sideways on it.

One of the most important things is to pull 4 directions on your load. I have done one to the front and one to the back for short hauls but I didn't even like doing it then. Tie downs always loosen. So stop and retighten after you have driven a bit. I recheck chains every time I stop.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:13 am

Guys & Gals,
I hate to tell you but some of your tie downs are not legal as per DOT regulations.
Please remember that this year the DOT will be looking at all trailers & trucks hauling any kind of equipment.
To chain down you cub properly you need to tie down your cub in 4
places pulling in 4 different directions.
Chain as follows 75% against forward movement ,45% against rearward movement,60% sideways & last but not least 20% vertical movement.
Chains have to have the proper rating also I don't have the chain ratings in front of me as they are in my 18 Wheeler caution manufactures ratings are not the same as DOTS.
Snap binders must have bungee cord or something to hold them closed.
Last but not least no part of the tie down (chain , strap) maybe out side of the trailer.
If you contact your local DOT officer (state police) he can show the regs.
I have this info as I drive 18 wheels for a living.
We also had the local DOT Officer come to our local engine & tractor club meeting for this reason there were so red faces when he was done.
He suggested that all clubs have a DOT Officer come to a meeting for this purpose.

These regs. took affect Jan. 1, 2005

DOT = Department Of Transportation & Safety
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed May 18, 2005 7:53 am

Jim I never imagined there to be a 5/8 set screw. Learn more every day.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Wed May 18, 2005 10:30 am

'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 18, 2005 7:26 pm

Dale51 wrote: We also had the local DOT Officer come to our local engine & tractor club meeting for this reason there were so red faces when he was done.
He suggested that all clubs have a DOT Officer come to a meeting for this purpose.

I agree with this in theory. In practice, I get different answers every time I talk to these guys.

We had one at a meeting last year that explained something and said it was ok, then said something like "At least it is OK with me. The next guy down the road might say something different."

Return to “Farmall Cub”