Re: Who's plowing????

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Looks like a nice stand of corn Tim. I can't believe how far ahead of us you are weather wise.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:34 pm

We still got snow and ice on the pond ... ain't plowing for a while :(

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Temps are good here, but as soon as it gets almost dry enough to plow, it rains again. I put my potatoes in the ground last Thursday night after work using a headlamp. 6 weeks late. Finished up at 1am. Traditionally put potatoes in the ground around Valentine's day here. Usually plant most of our summer vegetables on or around Good Friday, so the clock is ticking there. Just now getting my Cub in shape for plowing anyhow, so I'm still ok. Rained last Saturday and will rain again Wednesday and Thursday, so I don't know when I'll get seed in the ground.......

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:40 am

16 Degrees and snow this morning - awesome....NOT :shock:

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 am

Got off to a late start here because of rain. Not complaining tho. Potatoes are up, corn, peas, and beans are breaking through the ground. Another rain forcast for this afternoon. Then I will be planting my warm weather stuff, tomatoes, peppers, okra and watermelons.

Billy

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 pm

cant even get into my garden its wetter than a fish in there

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 am

Ready to plant after today's rain and cold clear out!

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 am

Good looking garden Jamieei. I envy you flatlanders. No side hill planting. You prepare your garden like I do mine. I disk it 2 or 3 times then I drag my 'leveler' over it. It is a piece of 6 x 6 I beam about 10 ft. long. Slicks it up real nice. Then the cub takes over.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 am

That's about as big a flat spot as you'll find on this farm. Alongside a river... 150 acres of hilly fields and just a few flat! I subsoil mine every year, burn any residue and weeds hoping ill fry at least some weed seeds, and this year enlisted the help of my 8 year old to disc it with "his" tractor, my 46' A. I'm working on prepping a new spot... About 3 acres total but the clump grasses on it are giving me fits. Been trying to avoid Round Up.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Don't plow but I rototilled it today. Be at least a couple of weeks before I plant anything but the weeds are starting to grow and I wanted to finish tilling in last years mulch. Mowed the asparagus fern. Last year we had been picking it for a week. Rhubarb is coming up. Dug the last of the parsnips and carrots so I could till. Soil still very cold. Vern

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:04 pm

It's amazing how we are both in the same State (Mass) and you are plowing, and I've got 18 inches of snow on the ground. I had my snowmobile out yesterday...and I've skied every day for the past 2 weeks. I've still got my snowplow hooked up to clear my driveway as the snow melts and turns to slush.

No, it will be a good 3 to 4 weeks before I even think about plowing.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Going to plow in the next 3 days.
Not frozen, not wet.

Thackery

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Bigschuss wrote:It's amazing how we are both in the same State (Mass) and you are plowing, and I've got 18 inches of snow on the ground. I had my snowmobile out yesterday...and I've skied every day for the past 2 weeks. I've still got my snowplow hooked up to clear my driveway as the snow melts and turns to slush.

The warm waters from the Gulf Stream flow into Buzzards Bay and collect in Buzzards Bay and warm up all the coastal towns on the bay. I live in New Englands warmest town in the fall, winter and spring. Towns inland from us might get snow and we get rain. In the summer the ocean waters keep us 10 degrees cooler than the inland towns. It wasn't a coincident I moved to Dartmouth. One thing for sure you have better scenery!!!!! And skiing, lol

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Disked the lowest part of the field, today, to help it dry out. My niece's father in law, plants there, and we usually make raised beds, in the fall, so he can get on them, with a tiller, early. Mother Nature, vetoed that plan, last fall. Trying to outsmart her, this spring. If he can get in there, before the next rain, we will have won! Ed

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:02 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:
Bigschuss wrote:It's amazing how we are both in the same State (Mass) and you are plowing, and I've got 18 inches of snow on the ground. I had my snowmobile out yesterday...and I've skied every day for the past 2 weeks. I've still got my snowplow hooked up to clear my driveway as the snow melts and turns to slush.

The warm waters from the Gulf Stream flow into Buzzards Bay and collect in Buzzards Bay and warm up all the coastal towns on the bay. I live in New Englands warmest town in the fall, winter and spring. Towns inland from us might get snow and we get rain. In the summer the ocean waters keep us 10 degrees cooler than the inland towns. It wasn't a coincident I moved to Dartmouth. One thing for sure you have better scenery!!!!! And skiing, lol

LOL! It's a good thing my wife and kids are all skiers and lovers of snow...or else we'd be seriously depressed. We all skied today out the back door on beautiful spring snow. In fact, we commented as we skied OVER our raised beds that it will be quite some time before we plow or plant.

I love the snow...but I am envious of your long growing season. Would love to be on my tractor right now.

Have a great season!

Blair