This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How big is too big?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue May 17, 2005 2:20 pm

I would not jerk the chains either Scotty..Its hard on your Cub and very dangerous.

Getting a good grip on the stump with a 25M wire rope sling chained to the ball on the fasthitch, this stump pulled out very easily. The stump was on a hillside which made it much easier too.

When I was young, working as a lineman for SW Bell, I judged it to be safe to cut down a 125' span of 200pr. ringed lead cable from about 30' in the air with belt and hooks, without a block and tackle as the spec stated....just wack it with the bolt cutters. I was on the end pole and it was downguyed securly :roll: :roll: :roll: The 6M strand was a little rusty but still looked OK :roll: . I got the ride of my life. My partner on the ground laughed for over an hour :D I WAS LUCKY.

Nowdays the time I spend being sure I'm safe is the most productive time I spend 8) :)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Tue May 17, 2005 6:37 pm

Only the blunt scissors... :wink: In all seriousness though, I certainly wouldn't disagree that safety is the priority here but without that inertia, you would never be able to pull anything out of the ground with the Cub. I know it weighs almost a ton but the wheels will still spin if you don't give it a little tug. Wasn't the Cub also designed for this type of pulling? If not, what was the intention of Farmall when they advertised the tractor as a small stump puller? (I seem to remember a pic or something in the Owner's Manual showing the Cub at work)

And... I do understand the importance of load rating for this sort of thing. Not a tractor related story here but one of the guys I work with was doing something similar to you Arizona. They were removing a concrete block stantion with a fully tensioned guy wire in it. Don't ask me why but the guys started jacking the stantion while the other was whacking the guy wire with a sledge. Whammo, the thing shot out like a thunderbolt and caught one of them in the eye. Lots of physical and laser surgery later, he's lucky he can see what he can to this day.

Thanks all for your advice and concern. :)
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 17, 2005 9:25 pm

You absolutely should not be yanking on anything. Something will break. Based on the number of cracked or welded castings I have seen on Cubs, I would say the tractor is the likely weak link.

I don't believe IH ever advocated use of a Cub for pulling stumps. They definitely did not suggest yanking on a chain or cable.

When I used the B to move the crepe myrtle, I did a lot of hand digging. A cable was used to cut under the root ball and pulling one end of it approached the limits of what the B could pull. The ruts showing in the pictures were made while pulling one end of the cable. The other end was anchored on another tree. After it was entirely cut loose, the tractor could barely pull the whole thing out of the ground.

By the way, that was a 3 tractor transplant operation. The B moved the bush. The Cub dug and back filled the new hole. The Deere 317 pulled a trailer around that hauled assorted equipment.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue May 17, 2005 9:45 pm

Jim Becker wrote:A cable was used to cut under the root ball and pulling one end of it approached the limits of what the B could pull.

That brings back memories of back in the 70s when we used 2 Ditch-Witch trenchers to remove 40/50 foot tall pine trees for transplanting. After trenching around the tree we would attach a cable to the end of each machine and saw the bottom of the root ball by moving forward & backwards till the root ball was free to lift. Before lifting we boxed the sides of the root ball & the bottom was added after it was lifted. Then we transported them to there new homes.
Then came Bronson

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Wed May 18, 2005 6:27 am

Thanks for the clarification folks. I'll be a bit more careful next time from both a safety and casting integrity perspective.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Try an old coat

Postby Dale51 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:24 am

Tim-Devery wrote:I do believe you should put an old coat or something heavy like that on the chain or cable. This will prevent the sucker from flying back at you.
I did this is the old day's when I went 4x4ing with my buddies .Myself, I use a 30,000 lb rated chain. The cub hitch would come off first!

Tim a 30,000 rated chain would have 3/4" thick links!!!
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Chain

Postby Tim-Devery » Wed May 18, 2005 6:53 pm

That chain was used for a bulldover, 57' Fiat-allis. Something from around this old farm.
Last edited by Tim-Devery on Wed May 18, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
56 LoBoy, 42" woods mower
JD-855 (to pull out the cub when stuck)

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Wed May 18, 2005 7:00 pm

i didnt use a cub but the ih 444. there was a huge rosebush against the side of a building. all we did was cut it off at the bottom and hook a chain around it and then to the loader and it ripped it right off with barely any effort
Image On To Bigger Things

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:23 pm

:oops: Dangerous subject

I would not use a tractor to pull stumps ( my choise) to many peaple have been killed or serioulsy injured. Hook the chain too high and just wach that tractor flip. To having dead treas or branches falling on you. Then their are many grades of chain. I used my 4x4 explorer to pull over 80 mulbeary trees last year up to 7" dia and some in clumps of eight stalks. I would much rather replace a tailgate than the back of my head. about ten years ago I was working in the ford monroe plant and they got and excavator stuck they sent in one of those big semi tow trucks the cable snaped and when it hit the back of the truck it knocked the driver out cold.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon May 23, 2005 9:48 pm

Ragweed, just drove right over it with the mower and it made a stubbly mess. That's about the limit of what I'd use a Cub for as far as forestry goes.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Tue May 24, 2005 8:06 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: When I lived in New Jersey, in my younger years, we just waited for the hurricane season! My Dad's hobby was growing apple trees. My brother's and my hobby was pruning, spraying, picking, selling and cutting one down whenever we could! Maybe that's why I don't have any apple trees!
Always try the easiest thing first.

Return to “Farmall Cub”