This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical problem/deadfault ground in distributor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
scott gillespie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Electrical problem/deadfault ground in distributor

Postby scott gillespie » Mon May 16, 2005 11:51 am

I installed new plugs, wires, condensor, points, cap, and rotor last fall in my '53 magneto ignition cub. I ran the tractor for about an hour and parked it (in my garage) for the winter. The tractor now refuses to start. I have spark from the magneto to the coil and from the coil to the distributor cap. I do not have spark from the distributor to the plugs though it appears as though the top of the rotor is riding on the bottom side of the distributor cap. A continuity test with my meter indicates that I have good continuity throughout. One friend of mine thinks I have a bad coil even though I get a spark (blue tip but mostly yellow) to jump from the wire on back of the coil to within 3/8 - 1/2 inch from the frame. He claims the spark is not hot enough to feed the plugs via the distributor. Another friend claims the coil is fine and that the source of my problem lies in the wires from the condensor, points, and coil becoming grounded out at the metal stud going through the distributor housing even though I have it insulated from the frame via a bakelite washer and electrical tape. The fact that I had to replace the condensor because it was faulty after only one hours of run time has me leaning toward replacing the coil. My thinking behind this is that if the coil was going bad, it may have caused the condensor to overheat and ruin it even though it had just been replaced. Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be appreciated at this point. Thanks in advance. Scott

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 16, 2005 11:55 am

There is a gear on the rear of the rotor that drives off a pinion idler gear. These gears will sometimes wear and break a ttoth or two, and cause the rotor not to turn, or to be off so it isn't pointed at a wwire terminal when it should be. Check these first. The rotor is only available through Case/Ih dealers.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 16, 2005 12:02 pm

The fact that you can throw a spark of that quality assures that your points, condensor and coil are working fine. Your issue is delivering the spark to the plugs and delivering it at the right time. Remove the distributor cap and crank the engine over to assure that the rotor is turning as it should. Then clean the wiper contact on the rotor button and make sure the timing marks are lined up. The other possibility is that the distributor cap has drawn moisture and is shorting out the spark. Spray the inside of the cap with WD 40 and wipe it out well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon May 16, 2005 12:04 pm

as john said, it's most likely a rotor problem. see if you can easily turn the rotor, its probably stripped where its molded to the gear.
more common than you think, i'm told... ask me how i know :oops:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”