This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final Helicoiling

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Final Helicoiling

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:37 pm

I just won an eBay bid for a 5/8-11 Helicoil Kit for doing the Cub Finals...I think I got a really good deal!! I am rebuilding a left final to swap out on my '55 and this will allow me to repair any problems I come across. (I am still checking the bolt holes out but am pretty sure I need at least one helicoiled)

My main reason for this post is in case any fellow NC Cubbers need their finals helicoiled, you are welcome to come over for a mini-fest or I might loan it out for the cost of the inserts you use. Boss loaned me his a while back and I REALLY appreciated it...thank you Boss!! (I know how risky it is to loan tools!) So, if anyone in the area wants to come play with your Cub, let me know! (Especially if you have used a fasthitch and can help me finish up installation!!!! :D )

Let's have another party!!

P.S. I also have the 3/8-?? which is a common bolt size (at least on the SA...e.g. oil pan and hydraulic manifold bolts), and the 3/4-10 which did my SA final.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Final Helicoiling

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Dale:

Did you buy 2 of em? Remember you need a bottoming tap as well. How To Make A Bottoming Tap - Method # 2. You might want to contact the seller and see if you can get another one as part of the deal. Was it a complete set? Inserts, STI Tap, Drill bit and Install Tool?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Oh right! I totally forgot the post about the bottoming tap! The kit I bought ($16.50 + $6 for shipping) is the "Master Kit" with the drill, tap, insertion tool and helicoils. I thought it was a pretty good deal. I think your suggestion is a good one...I will contact him and see if he has another tap. Otherwise I hope it is a size I can get locally. You don't know off hand what size it is, do you?

Thanks for reminding me! Hope you are enjoying your hibernation with all that snow!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Dale...check ebay for your bottoming tap...that's where I got mine.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Dale, the tap is a 5/8" STI. The STI indicates that it is for threaded inserts and is larger than a regular 5/8" tap. They make bottoming taps for inserts but they are harder to find than the tapered.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Dale:

Also the bottoming taps are very pricey. The average price I have seen for 5/8" STI bottoming taps is in the $50.00 range. There may be cheaper ones out there but I never seem to find them. The price you paid for that master set is ridiculously cheap.. you really need to get another one. There is no way that you can get a bottoming tap for that price, but you surely can make one. If I can, you can. So see if it is available.

Keep us posted ok..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:57 pm

There is a guy with 5/8-11 sti bottoming tap on eBay for around $13. I did not have a good experience with him. I got my money back because he didn't have them. I'd be curious to know if he has them now. The bottoming tap you need is easily made from the tapered one.
Thomas

Return to “Farmall Cub”