This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planned purchase of US built Cub in France

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AndyMac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: GU52

Planned purchase of US built Cub in France

Postby AndyMac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi folks - its Andy here from across the pond in UK.

Fueled by excitement at firing up my '58 French built Super Cub I am now on the quest for an original late '40's built US Cub imported to France.

I have tracked down an enthusiast who restores them to what looks like an exceptionally high standard - his Pa sold them new in a dealership. I have only seen photos.

I am being offered a selection from four as follows:

'47 - Serial No 8722. '48 - S No. 48095 '49 - S No. 73256 and '49 - S No. 84620.

All now have 12 volt electrics. The first two have Magneto ignition and the latter two have Delco ignition - not sure about the difference.

I would like if possible to have a rear pulley (for driving saw benches etc) and also a cultivator (if available).

They are all apparently in equally good state of restored condition.

I would sure appreciate any observations on the best choice and which would be the most desirable?

Thanks - Andy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Planned purchase of US built Cub in France

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

I would pick one with the Delco ignition. Reason, magneto coil fails, parts may not be readily available and expensive. The battery powered ignition parts are readily available at auto parts stores in the USA. And fairly inexpensive.

I have no opinion as to best choice and most desirable.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Andy:

All things being equal, I would be opting for the early '47 or '48 with the magneto. If it is 12 volt, then likely they have an external coil and the internal coil may be toast if there at all. You will have to see if it is a 6 volt starter or a 12 volt starter. I personally prefer the mags and the original 6 volt, but this IJIMHO.

When it comes to parts for US built Cubs in Europe you are going to run into the same problem for mags or battery ignition/distributor. TM or eBay will be your best bets for that. TM for most of the parts as they ship overseas on a regular basis and they are simply the best when it comes to customer service. For some of the items that TM may not have, then after our own classifieds, eBay will be the place to get it from. If you opt for a magneto, then you can get a replacement parts mag for the coil and core on or replacement coils if you already have the coil core. It is a bit more expensive, but will last a very long time. I like my mags, but that is a personal preference .. not to be taken as gospel.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Parts will be a problem I agree with Eugene get one of the later ones for sure
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Andy we had a member in France (who has since died) that from time to time needed a part that he had trouble getting in France. I would buy the part and mail it to him as a Happy Birthday package. We never had a problem with customs or otherwise and Pat got what he needed in a reasonable time. I am sure we could work out something like that for you if the need arises.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Beaconlight