This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

choked carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

choked carb

Postby ScottyG » Tue May 10, 2005 8:30 pm

This past week, many of you answered questions for me about timing and carburetor problems. Through a timing adjustment, I managed to get plenty of power out of ol' Henry with the one exception that at mid to high speed, I was now getting an exhaust noise like "foop, foop", kind of a mini-backfire. I was instructed to check for leaks and I think it was either GW, Jim or BigDog who told me it might be valves.

I did a little more troubleshooting tonight. I took the carb apart (about the 7th time in two weeks) straightened the top, checked the float height (1-13/32") and put on a new gasket. The carb is good and tight with the exception that the idle tube broke off with the base of it still in the carb's top. I was told that since that little piece is still in there, this should not affect operation so I left the tube out.

Anyway, when I refired, the foop foop noise proved to be even worse than before. I'm also getting a slight governor surge. I think I've isolated the problem though to a vacuum leak. If I choke about 1/2 way, the engine runs as smooth as glass. Take the choke off and it's nothing but chop. There's a new gasket on the carb and one on the intake manifold. The only two that I haven't replaced are the manifold to block and the valve cover. I have plenty of fuel running into the carb and to my knowledge, all of my jets are clean. I also tried removing the air cleaner hose to see if there was blockage. No change here. Any suggestions? I'm about at my wit's end!
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

TrainsNTractors
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TrainsNTractors » Thu May 12, 2005 8:32 am

you could try to spray some carb cleaner around the intake and see if things smooth out. If so you might have found your air leak.
Dan

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu May 12, 2005 12:30 pm

Carb cleaner huh? Thanks, I'll try this and report back.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 12, 2005 10:07 pm

Scotty every time I have had mine running like that it was dirt or rust in the carb. Took it apart blew it out and all was well. I don't have any idea about how the broken idle tube would affect it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Fri May 13, 2005 9:00 am

Hi beacon,

Got it fixed and you guessed it; varnish in the main jet. Thanks for your help.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”