This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission rebuild at Cubfest.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Transmission rebuild at Cubfest.

Postby Kodiak » Mon May 09, 2005 7:36 pm

I need a little input on rebuilding my tranny for my Cub. I thought I could wait till this winter but the seals are completely gone and cannot keep any fluid in the transmission. It is a 1948 Cub with a casting number on the tranny of 361530-R1 This case has a broken brake band anchor pin boss on the left side :( , I don't think it can be fixed :cry: so I purchased another housing that looks to be in excellent shape casting number 951530-R1 :)
Any reason these won't interchange? I am planning on removing the transmission from the Cub and bringing it with the other case to Cubfest so we can do a re-build and hopefully video it. Other than some seals and gaskets can any of you guys help me put together a list of re-build parts I will need? Any special tools? Sorry for the long post and thanks.

Kodiak
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

i'm sure others can interject here...but most importantly, where has this new tranny spent it's life.....(hint, the cub cadet originals make real good doners.....the speed reducer before the trans makes them run 1/2 speed and they more likely spent time inside cause they were little)...but if your tranny was in the great outdoors like Petes..then he complains a bit in 2nd and 3rd...actually whines...kinda like..well that's another story

so, you might need bearings and /or gears...but for sure..seals front/back/left/right, gaskets lt/rt/top/rear....pto bushing.....pto gasket/felt/and perhaps coupler and shifter....mmmm
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Tue May 10, 2005 6:13 pm

Thanks ARTC for the reply. I only have the housing (not the complete tranny) and it's in very good shape, it came from a cub that was parted out, dosen't appear to have been abused. I hope to dis-assemble the one I have and re-assemble in the housing I bought. My transmission has never given any problems or made noises. Sooooo I think the internal parts should be in good shape. My transmission case is another thing its been welded and inserts used to attach the left side final drive. looks like left final drive was over torqued and busted the transmission case.

2007 Cub Tug Champion

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Transmission rebuild at Cubfest.

Postby George Willer » Tue May 10, 2005 6:48 pm

Kodiak wrote:I need a little input on rebuilding my tranny for my Cub. I thought I could wait till this winter but the seals are completely gone and cannot keep any fluid in the transmission. It is a 1948 Cub with a casting number on the tranny of 361530-R1 This case has a broken brake band anchor pin boss on the left side :( , I don't think it can be fixed :cry: so I purchased another housing that looks to be in excellent shape casting number 951530-R1 :)
Any reason these won't interchange? I am planning on removing the transmission from the Cub and bringing it with the other case to Cubfest so we can do a re-build and hopefully video it. Other than some seals and gaskets can any of you guys help me put together a list of re-build parts I will need? Any special tools? Sorry for the long post and thanks.

Kodiak

Kodiak,

The bugaboo will be seting up the differential. (The cases will be machined slightly differently due to machining allowances) I have never done it on a Cub, but I had to repair one on a much larger tractor that had been set up improperly by a dealer. The failure was catastrophic!

In addition the the bearings, seals, and O-rings for the bearing retainers, plan on some shims so the proper combination is available. Read the section in the manual and be prepared to spend a little time at it.

If necessary, we'll try our best to make some shim stock. (aluminum) :D :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Wed May 11, 2005 6:28 am

Your scaring me George! But I guess if it could be done it could be done at Cubfest. I hope to arrive around or a little after noon on Friday. I hope that is time enough to get this done and documented so that others may benifit from it.

Thanks Ron

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Return to “Farmall Cub”