This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy New Cub need some questions answered please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New guy New Cub need some questions answered please

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 pm

StreetGliderX wrote:i'll assure you if i had to hit the interstate with the tractor it would have had a different strap configuration.
Short story. I got ran off a gravel road, 30 mph, over a bridge abutment. 3/4 ton pickup, 2 plus ton tractor chained down on tandem axle trailer. Trailer axle caught abutment, immediate stop, swung pickup to right into ditch. Rear end of trailer caught on bridge, trailer with tractor hanging up side down over the creek. If tractor had not been secured to trailer - it would came off the trailer forward when the pickup and trailer caught on the bridge abutment.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:09 pm

StreetGliderX wrote:lastly if i have the tractor engine number can find out what year it is?

One of the most important assets on our forum is the amount of information that is available. But to access it one must read the posts. The answer to your question was given in the first response to your first post.

Rudi wrote:G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very first new to you Cub. I am sure that you will probably become addicted real quick to it just as so many of us have.

My first suggestion to you would be to read an Owner's Manual - you can find them here - Cub Owner's Manuals. To find out what year your Cub is, check for the serial #. You should find it on the lower right hand side of the tractor looking from the rear forward right under the steering column on the front bolster. For help in identifying your Cub click here - Cub FAQ's #1 on ATIS.

pic courtesy of Cub FAQ's #1

There are lots of resources for our members, pretty much the most unique on the net. We have a great Community and everyone is willing to help. Suggest you grab a comfy chair, some coffee if that is your thing, sit back, relax and follow the links below, there is lots of reading to do. However I do want to stress before you do anything to your Cub, read the Owner's Manual first before you do anything. Familiarize yourself with the manual then with the Cub using the manual as a step by step guide. Enjoy :D

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 am

Very nice Cub! Nice Woods L-59 mower too, but unless it was 'adapted' somehow for a Cub it's not what would be sold with a Cub. Did they have other tractors it may have fit? Can you find the SN tag? Does the spline on the pulley match the Cub?

Woods 59 has an orange deck and L-59 is white, the blades spin in opposite directions. L-59 will fit a lot of different tractors, it's the brackets that make the difference. Here is a chart from Carter and Gruenwald:
http://www.cngco.com/woods.html

Enjoy your Cub!

Edited for chart URL.
Last edited by Buzzard Wing on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:28 pm

StreetGliderX wrote:here is the mower i got and this one rear bar is what throws me. It dont seem like the ones i see in other pictures for cubs? i also have the serial number off my mower and model number if those help identify it?

That mule drive is unlike any I've seen for a Cub. I have a Woods 59C2 and the mule drive for it is meant to run the deck off of a standard pto pulley. Yours looks like it's meant to run off of a right angle drive unit fitted with a V pulley, like the one laying on the deck. I have no idea if it would work, ...just sayin'. :?
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

StreetGliderX
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35674

Postby StreetGliderX » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks Rudi, I've looked all that over but I must be lookin at it all wrong, my serial number on the engine puts my tractor at a 76 year model. The casting plate on the same engine puts me at a 65, and of course the rest are all different too. No serial number plate on the tractor either, it just don't look like a 76? I guess a better description of my question should have been would someone with better knowledge of these tractors mind helping me cipher out my Johnny Cash tractor?

On the mower I was told it was pulled from a cub, I'm starting to think it was pulled from an A tractor. This would explain the PTO configuration maybe? I've got an old A parts tractor I need to go see to figure it out. Does anyone have a photo of just the rear hook ups? I can't seem to find a rear shot with the brackets installed. Also my cub has a smooth PTO shaft no splines, just a key way.

Will an" A" PTO fit the cub? Just curious cause my A is a parts rig.

Edit: GF sent me the numbers on mower, Model 9701 serial 491675

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 pm

StreetGliderX wrote:Will an" A" PTO fit the cub? Just curious cause my A is a parts rig.

No.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 am

StreetGliderX:

Ok, so what is the serial number off of the engine boss? Also what is the casting code on the block? That will help narrow it down. One thing you have to remember is that the very same C-60 engine was used in Cubs, Cub Lo-Boys, CU-1 and U-1 power units, as well as baler, thresher, combine and other units. So, the engine serial number will not necessarily match up with the expected year. The casting code will give us some clue as well as the casting codes from the other parts of your Cub.

The grille on your Cub puts it at a '56-'58 but only if the casting codes match. Without a serial number on the bolster it will be hard to accurately date your Cub. George Willer had a good opinion on this - when using a replacement sn tag - do not use a serial number just indicate it's apparent year as determined by the majority of the casting codes.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”