This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy New Cub need some questions answered please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New guy New Cub need some questions answered please

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:25 pm

StreetGliderX,

PM (private message) sent.

I live close to you near Birmingham, AL and have several Cubs with implements. I should also have some of the stuff you're looking for. I'll show you how to hook up the belly mower, and you can take all the pictures you want. Ride on down one weekend, and we'll talk Cubs and have a good 'ole time!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

StreetGliderX
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35674

Postby StreetGliderX » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I am excited! In the family we have a good collection of various farmall toys, including a turbocharged H! (My dad is a mad scientist of tractors). So I'm pretty giddy about my little cub and also the A I just acquired too.... The cub has hydro, can't find the serial number the plate is gone, mower is an L 59 woods and it seems to have all the parts... Time will tell. In the middle of a bathroom remodel that is robbing me of time but ill be workin on the cub soon. Also kinda planning a Diesel engine swap in something soon, I want to do a cub or A with a Perkins or Kubota and dad wants to do an M swap with a 6bt cummins.... I'm tickled to be here and I'm gonna ride to middle AL and check out "AL Farm Boy" I wish I had more notice I woulda made the Florida trip. I like a good road trip!

Ill get some pics on here quick. I'm at work on my iPad now so I gotta figure how to load one from my phone.

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Greetings from another Alabama Cubber. Welcome to the forum. You will be able to find lots of good guidance from the folks here. I know I have.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm

StreetGliderX wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I am excited! In the family we have a good collection of various farmall toys, including a turbocharged H! (My dad is a mad scientist of tractors). So I'm pretty giddy about my little cub and also the A I just acquired too.... The cub has hydro, can't find the serial number the plate is gone, mower is an L 59 woods and it seems to have all the parts... Time will tell. In the middle of a bathroom remodel that is robbing me of time but ill be workin on the cub soon. Also kinda planning a Diesel engine swap in something soon, I want to do a cub or A with a Perkins or Kubota and dad wants to do an M swap with a 6bt cummins.... I'm tickled to be here and I'm gonna ride to middle AL and check out "AL Farm Boy" I wish I had more notice I woulda made the Florida trip. I like a good road trip!

Ill get some pics on here quick. I'm at work on my iPad now so I gotta figure how to load one from my phone.

Gary Dotson beat you to it. Meet Cubota:

Dyno test results.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for posting those pics, Ricky, that first pic is one of the best Cubota pics I've seen. Cubota is currently sitting in my shop, getting ready for his ride to Deep South.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 am

i always wondered about your tractor, can you mount stock implements like mowers? how does the power compare to the C60 i imagine you burn less fuel. what did you have to do to fabricate everything to fit or did it just about bolt together. is it just a toy is it still a useful tractor able to do all of the chores these tractors can normally do?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 am

Here is an old thread that discussed the dyno results of this tractor along with some other results (that I believe were taken the same day).
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42039
As to the implements, Gary did a LOT of fabrication to make this engine fit and maintain original spacings. Most Cub implements still fit. I believe there are a few that would run into interference with a part of the engine.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:12 am

ad356, the work required to install the Kubota engine is much too extensive to get into here on the forum. Perhaps one day we can talk in person and I'll bend your ear for a while. Anyway, the tractor is still fully functional and most attachments are still compatable. Like Jim said, there may be interference with a few attachments. I suspect the lift linkage for the front mounted blade would contact the air cleaner, for example. This engine makes peak power at much higher RPM than the C-60, so that changes the way you do some things. When plowing, for example, although I can aesily plow in 2nd gear, travel speed is much too fast. I just put it in low gear and set the RPM at a comfortable pace. If I were to install a belly mower, it would use a smaller PTO pulley. Many times, it's just operated at reduced speed. As far as power goes, it has about double the horsepower of the C-60. You really can't see that in the dyno chart, because we top out the dyno flow meter and we can't properly measure it. I sometimes get the tractor out for little jobs around the place, but it's really just a toy.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 am

Yeah, we just picked up a little Cub Cadet 1772 Diesel with a 3 cyl Kubota engine and hydro trans., and that thing sure has some power! Wonder if the Kubota from the Cub Cadet would be easier to adapt to a Farmall Cub??
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

StreetGliderX
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby StreetGliderX » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 pm

yeah i may try and diesel out the A,... altho a little cub would be nice.... i just LOVE the cub tractor i dunno why its just always been my favorite followed by the MD, just gotta love a diesel with spark plugs!

im trying to upload my little cub i wonder if this works....

no serial number plate but i have the casting numbers off the engine and trans

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Nice little Cub. Looks like you've got the hard to find 15" front rims/tires.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:27 pm

StreetGliderX wrote:Image

I hope this is just a demonstration picture of your cub and not how you anchored the tractor to the trailer for transportation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm

It has been brought to my attention that I should explain how I would anchor the pictured Cub to the trailer.

If Cub is only piece of equipment on trailer and no tractor draw bar to anchor from - back up the Cub until the center of the Cub is located just in front of the trailer's center point. You want some down weight on the trucks hitch.

Tractor needs to be anchored so that it can not move forward, backward or side to side.

Rear of tractor, with pictured straps. Anchor point to rear of tractor. Strap to anchor point, loop one tire passing the strap between the rim and hub and around the tire then back through the rim and hub. Strap then goes through opposite tire between rim and hub to anchor point behind the tractor. Do not loop the second tire. The idea here is that the strap pulls the rear of the tractor back and down. The loop in one tire keeps the rear of the tractor from sliding sideways

Front of tractor. Same strap. From anchor point in front of tractor. Loop strap around the axle or axle extension tube, under bolster, around opposite axle then to anchor point in front of tractor. Same idea as rear of tractor, strap pulls tractor forward, down, and loop keeps tractor from sliding sideways.

Using the straps you will have to tighten up the straps, loosen, adjust, tighten then perhaps loosen and readjust to take all of the slack out of the straps. My personal preference is chains and load binders.

The topic on how to secure a tractor to a trailer has been discussed several times on this board.
I have an excuse. CRS.

StreetGliderX
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby StreetGliderX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Eugene wrote:I hope this is just a demonstration picture of your cub and not how you anchored the tractor to the trailer for transportation.

Thanks for your informative post, i towed the tractor maybe a total of 6 miles, i also towed it with a 3500 regular cab Chevrolet and I'm almost 99.9% sure i didn't exceed the rated weight of the hitch?

i'll assure you if i had to hit the interstate with the tractor it would have had a different strap configuration.

i'll be sure to search "how to Tow" so i can be sure my next trip doesnt end in disaster like this one did,... sadly there was a few bugs on my grill from the long trailer ride.

StreetGliderX
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby StreetGliderX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 pm

here is the mower i got and this one rear bar is what throws me. It dont seem like the ones i see in other pictures for cubs? i also have the serial number off my mower and model number if those help identify it?

AL Farmall Boy wrote:Nice little Cub. Looks like you've got the hard to find 15" front rims/tires.

thanks man! i had no idea they were sought after, i knew they were different from my dads but i was thinking it may be just cause his was older tractor?

lastly if i have the tractor engine number can find out what year it is?

Return to “Farmall Cub”