This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New member, 47 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
69DAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39565

New member, 47 Cub

Postby 69DAM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Good afternoon everyone.
As the subject line states, i'm new to this forum. I am currently trying to get my father's 47 Cub going. he purchased it a few years ago (not running, dormant for about 15 years) had the engine rebuilt, and we are just now getting to put it all together. i have the original maintenance manual, as well as a shop manual. I would think between those documents, and the endless amount of information available on the web, i'd be able to get the thing going.....no so much.
I did a little research on this forum as well, but can't fine exactly what I'm looking for. Everything is very straight forward, but i'm a little mixed up on how to position the engine in order to attach the magneto. TDC mark on is lined up on compression stroke-got it. On the engine side of the magneto assembly, those two pegs don't line up like they should in order for the rotor to be pointing at the #1 firing position. I have rotated the rotor around to get as close as possible, but i'm not getting any fire.
Here's my question: is there some type of advice you guys could give me, maybe some kind of trick that i'm missing? Thanks for anything you can provide!! :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New member, 47 Cub

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 pm

What you describe sounds like the governor was not timed when the engine was put back together.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

With the #1 cylinder at TDC, and the Mag removed, is the governor drive positioned like this:

69DAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 69DAM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14 pm

thanks for the replies. No, mine is almost the opposite, meaning that in this pic the slots are (close to) 8 and 2, as on a clock. Mine are more like 11 and 5.........im guessing that is a problem??

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Yes that is your problem. You will have to take the Governor off and re install it , There are timing marks on the teeth, it is in the repair manual as to how to do it
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:21 pm

69DAM wrote:but i'm not getting any fire.
Remove the wire from the center of the distributor cap and place about 1/4" from engine block. Rotate engine one full turn. You should hear the magneto snap and see a spark. No snap and or no spark - magneto problem.

Even if the magneto drive gear is out of time - it's not fatal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Yep, that's the problem. You are going to have to pull the governor. After you do this, look down at an angle behind the governor drive seal to find this timing mark:
Once you see this mark, confirm that the pointer on the front of the engine is lined up with the timing mark on the pulley. When you see this timing dot, you will be at TDC compression on the #1 cylinder.
Color the teeth on each side of the dot so they are easily visible.

Then on the governor itself, find this timing mark:
Color the tooth next to this mark so it's also easy to see.

Then position the governor with its gasket installed up to the front of the engine and align the teeth like this:
You'll have to wiggle the governor into place but you won't have to force it. After you get it into place, it'll look like the pic I posted earlier with the slots at 2 and 8 o'clock position.

Once you get this done then you can install and time the Mag.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:46 pm

69DAM wrote:I have rotated the rotor around to get as close as possible, but i'm not getting any fire.

This was not a good thing to do. There are timing marks on the rotor (rib opposite the conductor) and the pinion gear that drives it (clipped tooth).

First, you need to correct the governor, exactly as Raymond said. Then you need to remove/reinstall the rotor into the governor using the timing marks. Then you can install and time the magneto as explained in the owner's manual.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:21 pm

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on taking on a project with your Dad as he rebuilds his Cub :D That is pretty 8)

So far you have been given some great info, so please do take their advice and proceed as directed. One of the biggest things I have found over the years when it comes to our Cubs is that for some reason even if folks have the correct manuals they just don't seem to read em much. Best possible thing a new owner of anything could do is to Read The Manual or RTM. In your case the McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub Owner's Manual 5-23-47 would be a useful read. One of the best things of our community is that we have lots of super talented members who can help solve just about any issue with a Cub. The other is the vast amount of resources available to our members.

For your specific problem from the GSS-1007 Engine :

These two pages will explain the Timing Gears:

From the GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment:

From the CBoK:

Electrical

1. How To TIme A Magneto - Method #1
  2. How To Time A Magneto - Method #2

For more resources follow the links below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Hope this helps.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

69DAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 69DAM » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm

All i have to say is WOW!! You guys are awesome. thanks so much for the assistance. I'm going to print all of this out and put it to action this weekend. I look forward to updating my results after i do it. thanks again guys!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:21 pm

69DAM wrote:All i have to say is WOW!! You guys are awesome. thanks so much for the assistance. I'm going to print all of this out and put it to action this weekend. I look forward to updating my results after i do it. thanks again guys!!

Many of us are going to be in Sneads Florida in about ten days for a CubFest. It's about four hours from you. If you can get away for the weekend I am sure you will have a great time. It is a great opportunity to meet many of the forum members from many parts of the country. It is also a great time to learn a ton about Cubs. It's free and it's friendly. My wife and I are driving 12 hours to attend.

Give it a look here http://www.dscubfest.com/ and then give it some thought.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Welcome aboard, 69Cub. If you haven't figured it out yet, this is the greatest cub website on the planet!!! You will receive much good advise and help from the folks here. We'd love to be kept up to date on your progress as you get your Cub back in service. Oh yeah, we love pictures too!!

It sounds like you've received some good advise so far. With the help given, you should be back in business soon. Keep us posted.

Rick
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi 47,
Welcome to the world-wide family of cubbers. Ricky Racer says it all for all of us, and he does not exaggerate :{_}:
Donegal Cub. :D

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Barnyard wrote:... My wife and I are driving 12 hours to attend. ...

I'm driving for 16 hours, others will be coming from further away, so four hours is a piece of cake. :) :) You will not regret making the trip.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm

One thing to remember, timing the governor to the mark on the gear will only work if that idler gear was timed to the crankshaft. If not, the front cover has to come off to time the idler unless you just do a little trial and error to get the governor lugs at the right point ie. set to TDC, then put the governor in with the notch aligned as in Raymond's photo.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”