This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

And another? Fan hub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

And another? Fan hub

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 am

Disassembled fan hub to clean up, was making some noise. Got her all cleaned up, looks good, sounds good but what keeps oil from leaking out of the back (end closest to you if sitting in seat), is there an Irving or something I'm missing! I see there is a groove on the inside of that end in item 7 in the link below? Please explain, I'm confused again....

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... e%2014.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: And another? Fan hub

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 am

It will only hold a small amount of oil with out leaking out, The procedure is described in the manual as to how to oil it
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:28 pm

As Boss mentioned the procedure is in the manual. I like to use an oral syringe with about a 10 inch piece of tubing to oil the hub. It works as slick as a whistle.

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Postby Jdbfish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 am

Thanks for the info folks, I appreciate it. I have read and understand the procedure but can't quite get my head around how it does not leak when the tractor is on an incline for example? Oh well, it worked for over 60 years, no sense in worrying with it now! Thanks again....

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:29 am

The way I understand it is that the fill hole has a stand pipe attached to it that extends inside the hub to a set point below the outside diameter of the center hub shaft/mounting bolt. After adding oil, the fill hole is positioned to face straight down, which allows excess oil to drain out over the top of the standpipe until it drops to the top of the pipe. Since the level of oil in the hub now rests below the center shaft/mounting bolt, it does not leak out when the engine is at rest. When running, the rotating hub slings the inside oil outward and centrifugal force pins most of it to the outer wall inside the hub away from the mounting bolt, thus preventing leakage. There are some strategically placed spiral grooves on the inner parts that distribute just enough of the oil to properly lubricate the shaft when the hub is spinning. It is a very fool proof and solid design.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 am

Originally there was a O ring type seal pressed into place when part 3 was pressed together. Over the years the O ring falls apart. The O ring is not replaceable. Best thing to do is to keep a check on the oil more often than the manuel states.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 am

since you apparently have it disassembled, be careful of which way the oil scoop is turned front to rear when reassembling One of the manuals (don't remember which one) has it reversed, and it will not lubricate the shaft turned that way. Here is a picture from the Blue Ribbon cooling system manual. In this picture the scoop (little curly Q to the right of the fan hub) is reversed, it should be turned with the tail facing the opposite direction. The way it is shown in this picture it will not direct the oil to the shaft. It is also incorrect in my GSS 1411 revision 1 service manual.

The thing to remember when sorting this out is the the outer drum turns, but the center shaft is stationary, so it is easy to reverse how it goes together.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:30 am

Clark Thompson wrote:Originally there was a O ring type seal pressed into place when part 3 was pressed together. Over the years the O ring falls apart. The O ring is not replaceable. Best thing to do is to keep a check on the oil more often than the manuel states.

There is a note in the owners manual about a rubber seal behind the hub. It says " The rubber seal is used for shipping purposes only and need not be replaced when worn." Is that the seal you are talking about, or is there another seal? I havent had to tear into that part of the tractor yet...

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 am

One other note, if you over fill it and do not drain down to the proper level, the result is a cone shaped coating of oil mist on both sides of the tractor, that becomes caked with dirt, etc. , and looks terrible. I learned that lesson about 25 to 30 years ago when I got my first cub, but did not yet have a manual.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”