This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

removing instrument panel

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Wed May 04, 2005 7:45 am

Is there any easy way to remove the instrument panel? The two bolts holding the bottom of the panel to the frame are difficult to reach. I am sure the must be an easy way and some cuber has found it.

I remember there is a socket wrench where the axis of revolution is at a right angle to the handle. Saw an ad and did not buy it. I have one that turns the socket by sqeezing the handle, but mine is too wide at the head.
Any ideas?
Last edited by Little Indy on Wed May 04, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed May 04, 2005 8:50 am

Might want to invest in a 3/8 drive ratchet wrench, an extension long enough to get in there and a universal joint. The universal joint is what you need to get at the right angle to remove those bolts. If your not interested in quality, you can probably get everything at Harbor Frieght for under $15.00. However, you will use that combination more than once so you might want to spend a little more.
Always try the easiest thing first.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed May 04, 2005 9:26 am

I assume the hood and tank are already off, otherwise why remove the panel? Just use enough extentions to get your ratchet above the top of the panel. It's a straight line and no universals are necessary. Don't forget to weld up the cracks in the lower corners while it's off... they're ALWAYS cracked.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Little Indy » Wed May 04, 2005 6:16 pm

I wanted to work on the ignition switch. Did not want to remove the gas -tank hood; but I may have answered my own quest. J C Whitney sell a T handel speed wrench with 1/4 or 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive. Part number ZX136341X.
Thanks for the help.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed May 04, 2005 9:22 pm

George wrote
I assume the hood and tank are already off, otherwise why remove the panel? Just use enough extentions to get your ratchet above the top of the panel. It's a straight line and no universals are necessary. Don't forget to weld up the cracks in the lower corners while it's off... they're ALWAYS cracked

George, sounds like it has hydraulics. If it didn't he would be able to get at them with an open end wrench.
Always try the easiest thing first.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: removing instrument panel

Postby johnbron » Thu May 05, 2005 6:29 am

Little Indy wrote:I wanted to work on the ignition switch. Did not want to remove the gas -tank hood; but I may have answered my own quest. J C Whitney sell a T handel speed wrench with 1/4 or 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive. Part number ZX136341X.
Thanks for the help.

Let us know how your procedure works out. Myself I think I would rather remove the hood and do a lot of easy maintainance while hood is off that is painstaking with the hood on.
Then came Bronson

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Thu May 05, 2005 7:12 pm

I just took mine off tonight. I used a craftmans wrench that has the rachet closed end on it. It has just enough room to put it on the head of the bolt and rachet it back and forth about 100 times to get it off.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 05, 2005 7:22 pm

Little Indy:

Long before I really learned the secrets of removing the hood/tank quickly, I also needed to work on my ignition switch. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet to remove the bolts at the base. There is just enough room to do that without beating up my meathooks too badly. Remember though, that if you do remove the dash without removing the hood/tank, that you somehow must support the weight or you could end up twisting and bending the doglegs. It would be much better to remove the hood/tank.

Oh yeah, and as George suggested:

Don't forget to weld up the cracks in the lower corners while it's off... they're ALWAYS cracked.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Removing Instrument Panel

Postby Little Indy » Sat May 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Rudi,
I paced a block of wood between the gas tank and the hydrolics.

Once I learn how to remove the gas tank hood complex quickly I won't bother.

Rudi, thanks for all your advice. :D
Richard

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Removing instrument panel

Postby Little Indy » Tue May 10, 2005 10:55 pm

Place block of wood between gas tank and hydrolics. Tried new wrench from J C Whitney, Works. I loosed the bolt with a box wrench and then slipped in the new wrench. 8) Had the bolt in less than a minute. :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”