This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question about Plow'in

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed May 04, 2005 2:58 pm

Back to the original question: There's no one way to plow a field. Start in the middle and work your way out. Start at the edges and work your way in. Plow really wide fields in sections: Once you get an area plowed so wide that it's taking a long time to drive across the ends, start on a different section.

You can't get away from having that last little piece to plow in the middle if you plow from the outside in. Just knock it over with the plow as best you can. It'll be somewhat taken care of when you fit the field.

Speaking of fitting/discing/harrowing/dragging (depends on where you're from and what you're pulling), you do this to break up the clods and smooth the field out. Discs do well to break up clods, but they don't smooth the field very well. Spring-tooth harrows (drags?) do better to smooth and break up clods in gravel or loamy soil, but don't work that well in clay soil. There are also peg-tooth harrows.

For a Cub, I would personally limit fitting equipment to about 5 feet wide at most.

We always used to drag a piece of 4" well casing behind our disc and drag.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Wed May 04, 2005 5:47 pm

Okay, here's some pics of the plow and said plowed field (sorry for the long load time).

The first few are of the plow and connections. The first field shot is of a cut furrow. The second is what I ended up with in the middle (did my best to knock it down). The third is what you get when you try to re-plow an area (don't re-plow an area). The last is of a trio of Pyrenees pups we just got to protect our livestock (going to be hard NOT to make them pets).

'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed May 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi Mike

Looks like you need to move in your right wheel. With it out that far it moves you out and the furrow you are cutting does not lay on the last one you cut. It will make a lot cleaner field for you.

Good luck Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 04, 2005 6:39 pm

Mike:

Seeing as I am no expert on plowing, I am gonna leave all that alone except to say - NICE plow :!:

Here is the important part aside from the Cub :!:

Great Pyrennes dogs are probably the finest people and animal dogs in the world. The pic above although not great, is one of the few that I have available at the moment of probably the best dog I have ever had the pleasure to share my space with. this was my friend - Spook.

When we first got Spook, Em and I were raising Leghorns, Meat Kings, Silkys, Aricana's, Turkeys, Ducks,other assorted birds AND Rabbits. Spooks job was to guard the critters. He did the job well. He was so attached to the Rabbits and they to him he literally made a hole in the chicken wire to get into the Rabbit pen. He could be found every morning laying down with Rabbits all snuggled around him. The Rabbits never left the pen.. why we don't know, they just didn't :!: :roll: :lol:

We never lost a Rabbit, duck, or any of the other fowls to the coyote's that range in our back wood lot. He made sure of that. Before we got Spook, the coyote's were brave enough that they were on our side deck one night - met the critter as we were going across to my mother-in-law's house. Talk about a bit of a shock :shock: :? :!:

Spook also was part of the family. His having a place with us never lessened his duties as the critter defender. He did both well. You will find that the hard part is not in allowing them to be pets, but in becoming family members.

Oh, he also kept me sane the first few years after I had to retire medically. Sadly, I had to put him down, it will be two years this coming August. Great Pyrennes don't have a long life span unfortunately.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Wed May 04, 2005 6:43 pm

LOOK AT THE PUPPYS. THERE SO HAPPY :lol:
Image On To Bigger Things

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sat May 07, 2005 5:43 pm

Well, a walk-behind (more like drag-behind) tiller has no chance of tilling the 6" furrows my plow made. I need a disc to knock down the clumps before I can think about tilling.

So I have to ask myself, "Why am I doing this?" Instead of plowing a garden why couldn't I have just used a tiller and be done with it? Since my garden is only about 50' x 75' I think even a small tractor like the Cub is overkill. I can't think of too many other uses for it other than a make-believe bush hog with the belly mower so if I sold it and the implements I have I could get a pretty good riding lawn mower and a power tiller and I'd be set.

What do you think?
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sat May 07, 2005 9:11 pm

I'm with Billy, get those tires moved in, you are slicing off way more than you want too, each pass should roll onto the last one, you should end up with a gently undulating garden, not a series of ridges and furrows.
I start at one end of the garden and then lift the plow and drive around, and plow from the same direction with the front and rear tires set properly you should have them running in the the furrow you just made with the plow filling in the furrow behind you.
Throw it one way this year and back the other way the next year to keep from ending up with a hill on one side and a ditch on the other over time.
The depth of the plow is controlled by the angle it goes in to the soil.
Dave

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Sun May 08, 2005 7:34 am

KYMike wrote:Well, a walk-behind (more like drag-behind) tiller has no chance of tilling the 6" furrows my plow made. I need a disc to knock down the clumps before I can think about tilling.

KYMike,

Can you find an old single gang horse drawn disc in your area? That might work if you can't find a Cub disc.

Ike

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun May 08, 2005 9:03 am

KYMike I found this just going down the road and noticed a farm place with lots of junk in the pasture. The fellow gave me a tour and I bought this. I added 240 lbs. of weight.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

KY Mike Needs A Disk !

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sun May 08, 2005 10:19 pm

Hey KYMike,

Check out my web page: under misc pics.
I have a tandem disk for sale. Price is RIGHT !!!!!

Al pulled this as a tandem with JD L's and his V's and Cubs when he had a huge garden. He split off the back end for the smaller garden.

You pull the tongue out to set it...pin it....pull the pin and back up to get em straight again if I remember right.

Will need a few new disks, or move some from the back to the front piece.

Let me know, some how with all the travelling us guys do we could get it to ya or close enough to meet someplace??

-Marion

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 09, 2005 9:08 pm

Marion, how about posting a link to your disk. didn't spot it on your website, and doing a lot of browsing of pictures with a dialup is a pain in the a**.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon May 09, 2005 9:19 pm

Young man for work, old man for advice

Return to “Farmall Cub”