This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

you Guys Are Expensive

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu May 05, 2005 6:32 pm

$7.50 a pack? 25 years ago that would have purchased 3 cartons! Looks like the tort lawyers and state treasuries are have created a money pipeline.

Gads, I sound like my father.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu May 05, 2005 7:21 pm

When I started smoking cigarettes cost $.16 a pack from a machine. You put 2 dimes in the machine and the pack came out with 4 pennies under the wrapper.

35 years later when I quit they were about $11.00/carton. It will be 20 years this fall since I quit cold turkey. I'm quite sure if I hadn't quit I wouldn't be here typing.

Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did until I had to bury my son. He was never able to quit. :( :( :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 05, 2005 7:54 pm

When I started smoking cigarettes were $0.20/pack for regulars and $0.25/pack for filtered ends. Never spent the extra cash for about 10 years for the filters, always smoked em nekkid.

Said I would quit when they hit $0.50/pack, butt I didn't :roll:
Said I would quit when they hit $1.00/pack, butt I didn't :roll:
Said I would quit when they hit $20.00/carton, butt I didn't :roll:
Said I would quit when my son was born, butt I didn't :roll:
Said I would quit when my daughter was born, butt I didn't :roll:
Said I would quit when my 3 other daughters were born, butt I didn't :roll:
Said I would quit when cigs hit $80.00/carton, butt I didn't :roll:

Quit cold turkey 20 minutes before I felt the worst pain I have ever felt in my entire life. 2 days later I got the bad news on my arteries. Since then, I have been fortunate enough to get a second and a third chance at living to old age, I WILL NEVER, EVER touch another cigarette PERIOD :!: I smoked anywhere from 3 to 4 packs a day for almost 40 years -- the first couple of years I started out slow. I sure wish I had listened to my parents/teachers/friends and family back then, wish I had listened to Em years ago, but I was too stubborn. Almost killed me. Way to go dummy me :!: :idea: :roll: :oops: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu May 05, 2005 8:15 pm

rudi, guess i'll have to jump in here....smoked 20 years...from a teenager to about age 37....... type a personality, run a business..driven, as they say.

nurse in the emergancy room took my pack of cigarettes and said (i'll never forget, even though i though i was in not to good shape) you won't need these any longer....and tossed them in the trash. doc said...did you take anything, cocaine, speed, whatever... cause i was only 37.. i said no, nothing... he said, then you are having a heart attack.

that was 13 years ago.. dont smoke, its not worth it.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 05, 2005 8:35 pm

Y'all are worse than converted drunks :!: :!: :lol:

The old saying: If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

When it's your time, it's your time :!: :!: :!: None of us control it we just think we do :!:
8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 05, 2005 9:10 pm

Donny:

True enough. The Lord will call us home when it is in HIS time.

I do believe though that we should make the best of it whilst we are here. Too many times we are preached at by those who believe that they know our lives better than we do, or better than we wish to live them. I will not preach to anyone as I resisted preaching for years. It is not the place of others to tell me how to live my life, nor mine to tell anyone else.

But I will say this though. When something like a heart attack or a bout with cancer touches you, or some other major life obstacle occurs, your attitudes change rather drastically and you start payin attention to your wife and doctors :!: This is not necessarily a bad thing...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 05, 2005 9:21 pm

Rudi,

I know all too well. Thanks 8)

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Thu May 05, 2005 9:41 pm

Quit smoking 20 years ago,quit drinking 10 years ago.... Look @ all the money I saved..........where is It? :lol: Just don't ask me to stop fixing red tractors ok.Life is to short,I want to have more seat time before I have a dirt nap.
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 05, 2005 9:43 pm

You don't want to quit like my father did. Labor day 1959 he had an appendex attack. They had to operate because it had burst. Dad had a spinal. While they were sewing him up he started asmokers cough. The dr literally layed accross him holding him together so that the cough did not tear the stitches the had in so far out. Still took me 10 years and with my kids ragging me. My brother bob didn't quit till he had infasima and is gone 3 years now. I don't preach but I do point out that we while all have a$$ holes, only a select few can be one. I then ask if they are one of the select few.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 05, 2005 10:13 pm

Last week, one of the guys I work with started having some pain that was quickly worsening. Another of my coworkers drove him ot the hospital ER, which is only about 2 blocks away. He was having a heart attack. From the time they left the office, he was getting a catheterization and stents put in within 20 minutes. That 20 minutes turned out to be plenty of time in which to quit smoking.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri May 06, 2005 12:17 am

Oxygen is $440 per month for my wife. Insurance want pay for it. Copays on monthy medicine is $600. I don't think a lifetime of smoking is worth it.
Young man for work, old man for advice

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 06, 2005 7:50 am

Guess I am one of the lucky ones. Never did drink, but used to occasionally smoke a cigar or pipe. quit that over 30 years ago. biggest problem I have is eating too much. That's pretty harmful to your health too.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”