This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear tire changing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Rear tire changing

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:47 pm

I've got to change my rear tires on one of my cubs....I've got a harbor freight tire changer and heard tell of a plywood adapter that is used to allow rear tires to be changed....I'm 6'4 and after reading an old post I have it mounted on a 3 point hitch carry all on a Ferguson To 20...But I can't seem to locate the post concerning the plywood adapter....I've also heard of changing the tires while their still mounted on the tractor....Question...How do you break the bead if it is done like this...Take the tire off and then put it back on seems like the only way...Can't seem to locate a tire shop in my area that will do the job...This will be a spring project, right now I'm just gathering info....Thanks ...I've gotten some great how to advice in the past...Should I mention I'm 66 with a bad back....
In Memory of 58,286

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Rear tire changing

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Mike Duncan (Into Tractors) had made the plywood adaptor and was going to post pix of it for a how to but he hasn't gotten around to it yet. Maybe he will see this and respond.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Fluid in tires?

I find it easier to dismount and mount rear tractor tires while the rim is still attached to the tractor. Bad back, very little actual lifting required.
pickerandsinger wrote:I've also heard of changing the tires while their still mounted on the tractor....Question...How do you break the bead if it is done like this.
I use two or more flat pry bars to break beads. Drive one flat pry bar between the rim and deflated tire bead until it contacts the rim. Twist the pry bar. Second pry bar driven in a few inches from the first - twist. Continue working around the tire until the bead has broken free of the rim.
I have an excuse. CRS.

code54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 25526
Tractors Owned: Kubota MX5100
1968 Cub Lowboy

Postby code54 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:05 pm

I pulled both my rears off a few months back and it was a JOB! I ended up taking them off to do the job as I figured it would be a lot easier. I could not get my beads to break for love nor money so I had to cheat. I laid them on the ground and got my 50hp Kubota and pressed down on the tire with the front loader while my son stood on the other side of the tire so it would not try and flip up. After spinning it around several times and pressing it to the ground a BUNCH of times they finally broke lose - it was a JOB!!
Anyway just throwing this out there if things don't go as planned or you don't have the correct tools and must adapt and overcome.
1968 Cub Low Boy
Kubota MX5100

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:08 pm

My vote and the way I do them is leave it mounted to the tractor. Makes a nice stable heavy weight to hold it. Of course only jack up one wheel at a time just off the ground so it will spin and block the other rear wheel so the tractor can't and won't roll. You can then put the trans. in neutral and spin the tire you are working on so you are always working at the top, less bending over. Need to hold the tire in place, put trans in gear to lock it. It also keeps it up off the ground so you don't accidentally get gravel or dirt in the tire when you're putting it back together. When you go to put it back together don't lift the tire, roll it along side and a little to the rear of it's final place on the rim. Start the bead over the rim on the back side and go as far up as you can then roll the rim forwards at the top and the tire lifts itself onto the rim :D continue working the bead over the rim and rolling forward. Insert the tube and work the other bead over the rim.

I do Cub rears and Farmall H 12.4 x 38 rears the same way. I have one of the HF tire changers and use it for the fronts although they don't fit the best. I wouldn't want to lift the Cub rear onto the thing and am not sure it would work all that great if I did. Lot's of lifting and fighting gravity. Small tires aren't to bad but larger tires get heavy.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:22 pm

By doing it Scrivet's way there is less chance you end up with the tire tread facing the wrong way. :oops:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:27 pm

code54 wrote:..... I could not get my beads to break for love nor money ..............

Have had the same problem. Finally bought a manual bead breaker for around $80 a few years ago. Works great. The price has gone up to around $140 and it's worth every penny if you are going to do big tires. Do a Google or Ebay search for "Esco manual bead breaker" to get an idea of what it looks like. There are other brands as well.

With the tire still mounted on the tractor drive the wedge between the rim and bead, tighten the clamp to get it aligned square, spin the wedge bolt to push the bead off the rim. Usually need to move it a couple times around the rim. First time I used it was on an H rim with Calcium Chloride and it was RUSTED everywhere. I had tried everything and had spent days with it and was about to resort to cutting the tire off when I bought the bead breaker. Took me longer to type this than get that tire off. DEFINITELY the right tool for the job!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 pm

All else fails you can use a sawsall. That is if the tire coming off is junk
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:36 pm

beaconlight wrote:All else fails you can use a sawsall. That is if the tire coming off is junk

That's what I used on last one I removed. Worked like a charm :-)
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 pm

beaconlight wrote:All else fails you can use a sawsall. That is if the tire coming off is junk
I use a metal cutting blade in the grinder to cut beads in tires. Makes a lot of smoke but cuts much faster than a sawsall with metal cutting blade. Finish cutting the tire with saws all.
I have an excuse. CRS.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Changing tires still bolted on the tractor does make for a solid work station. The best hand tool used to break the bead is a slide hammer bead breaker (if available) worked around both beads, inside and outside.

The tire is then stripped from the wheel then replaced with tire irons or spoon bars. The use of soapy water or commercial tire lube is sometimes necessary for the beads to slip off. I always use lube.

The bead of the tire is porous rubber which allows rust to grow into it from the wheel forming a bond sometimes seemingly impossible to break loose.

If a rim has been on for decades, especially if loaded with calcium chloride, soak the bead with penetrating oil for a day before trying to break the bead. It will make breaking the bead so much easier.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:52 pm

I watched a guy change the rear tire on a John Deere pulling tractor at a pull that I had entered. He changed it while mounted on the tractor. He made it look real easy. I had never seen it done like that before. It worked pretty slick.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm

The trick after the tire is off do you want to clean and paint the rim? I often use a section cut from an old tube to line the rim and keep the old tube out of the rust.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 pm

"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Since I am a wimpy female, I have taken my last 3 sets of tires to my local tire place and for $10 each, they will mount or dismount my tires. After I watched Yogie at Boss' do a few tire changes, I knew it was money well spent!!!!!! :big smile:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”