This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dome Top Piston

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CTM Paul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Dome Top Piston

Postby CTM Paul » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:23 pm

I was told that I should replace my 1948 Cub pistons with a "Dome Top Piston". Where can I find this type of piston? Any other suggestions are welcomed??

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:53 pm

If I remember other posts on this subject correctly you have to rework the head to make clearance and change the connecting rods as well. One of the experts will fill it in more completely.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun May 01, 2005 6:44 am

The last engine I built was a ’53 and the dome piston barely clipped the head. I posted my results and some Cub members replied they put the pistons in with no problems. I think Jim Becker said International made a different engine head for the dome pistons and also I think Jim said they made other modifications to the engine as well. I guess I could have notched the head a little to make them work, but I don’t know how much I would have gained (horse power) wise. The person I was buying the pistons from let me try the domed pistons to see if they would work, so he took them back. I had the choice of the aluminum flat top or the steel flat top and I choose the (original) steel.

If you decide to go with the aluminum pistons add more clearance between the cylinder walls and the pistons for expansion. (Aluminum will expand more than steel)

Jack Fowler