This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replacement bolt kit?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Replacement bolt kit?

Postby Jdbfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 am

I have started the restore process on my 50 model cub with my daughter. We have it all tore down and separated. We are degreasing, cleaning, getting ready for paint. During teardown several nuts, bolts, etc were damaged beyond reusable condition. Is there a complete fastener replacement kit for the cub available any where?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Replacement bolt kit?

Postby bob in CT » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 am

No, but I have been working on a complete list of fasteners for a 1950 Cub as I do my project. Almost all of that information is in the parts books but it did vary a little with later models. I can send you an Excel sheet or a pdf if you don't have Excel. It may not be 100%, but it is pretty close to being done. I have it organized by diameter, thread, length, with a note on location. Send me your email by PM and let me know what version you want if you would like copy.

1950 tractors had all "dot" head bolts. The end of the bolt has a raised dot in the center. Later they went to the "man in the tractor" IH symbol and finally the generic "WP" so they could sell bolts on the open market. If you want to keep it original, it is possible to find dot heads, or, if you have a lathe, turn some.

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:59 am

Thanks bob! Pm is on the way. You guys amaze me, always an answer and/or solution for cub issues!!!!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 am

Looks like the bolt list is a popular item! I'll send it to anyone that requests it via PM. I went through the parts book for each fastener and then I have been confirming each one as I have been assembling the tractor from back to front. Next project is the engine, bolster and hood. When I have confirmed each part, then I will give a cleaned up version to Rudi and Dennis to post. I have been using it to track what dot bolts I need to make up for what was missing or replaced with hardware store bolts on this basket case. Without a scorecard on a multi-year tinker toy, ..... :lost:

Just keep in mind that there were small differences in later tractors and I am only confirming the list for my 1950 Cub at this time.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 am

Hmmm... didn't know you were working on that list. I like the idea :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:32 am

While a complete bolt list can come in handy, you don't always know the name of the location that the bolt came out of so that you can match it up with the list.

I would find it easier to sit down with a ruler, a pad and pencil, and do an inventory of the damaged bolts. Then I'd head to either the local Ace or ServiStar and go native in their bolt bins.

Another reference you have is the online parts manuals. If you go to a CaseIH dealer with online parts ordering, I think you can build a list of bolts you need by putting them in your shopping cart, then printing it out.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:46 am

Matt, Bob indicated that his list does include the location for the bolt.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 am

I'm probably going to replace most of the bolts and such. Not Bly did I damage several, almost all are very corroded. Lots of work to clean up so I will probably replace them.....

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am

Don't forget that allenlook's site has an easily searchable database with the contents of TC-37F. You can go in with a part number or a word from a description and find everywhere it is called out. The site is http://www.farmallcub.info/. Just go there and click on Online Parts DB.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:43 pm

If you don't care about staying original, I've found Tractor Supply to be one of the better bolt places to shop in bulk. Fastenal is good as well (got my head bolts there)
If going aftermarket - go grade 8 on everything. The IH bolt torque specs are actually higher than grade 8 (using head bolts at 45 ft-lbs as an example) but you should be OK with grade 8. Grade 5 or 3 will get you into trouble.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Matt, Bob indicated that his list does include the location for the bolt.

Understood. My point, however, is that the words Bob uses may not be the same words *you* use to describe the location of the bolt.

You may not even know where the bolts you're trying to replace came from until you go to put them back. Definitely not the ideal solution but it does happen.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:21 pm

And on Allen's site, you can get from the list of bolts to the exploded diagram for any bolt in the list in one click.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 pm

If I was attempting to compile a list as described by Bob, it would just be overwhelming. Tremendous effort, extreme generosity to share it.
Luck favors those who are prepared

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Bus Driver wrote:If I was attempting to compile a list as described by Bob, it would just be overwhelming. Tremendous effort, extreme generosity to share it.

I agree
Thomas

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Bus Driver wrote:If I was attempting to compile a list as described by Bob, it would just be overwhelming. Tremendous effort, extreme generosity to share it.

And that type of giving is what has made this community what it is - the very best tractor community on the net period -- as well as in person too :{_}: :D :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”