This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch finger confusion

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch finger confusion

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 pm

I split Eddie this past weekend to attend to the rear main. As long as I had her split, I figured I would check the finger height on the clutch (Rockford). They were all equal, at 1 3/4 inches from the base of the pressure plate. I double checked what they were supposed to be, and several posts stating the height should be 1 1/4 inches, so that's what I set it at. However, when I get her back together, that did not give enough travel to release the pressure plate from the clutch disk. So I adjusted them out about another 1/8 inch. When I started her up, I got a chattering sound almost immediately, when I pushed on the pedal. I adjusted the fingers out another 1/8 inch. Now I can push the clutch in enough to shift, but if I push it too far, it still chatters.

Before I started, I could push the clutch pedal all the way to the stop without any noise. I was not having any trouble with the clutch before I started (should have left well enough alone), but figured that I should get things at their proper setting (just because it's working, doesn't mean it's working correctly). Is there something wrong with my pressure plate? Is there any downside to having the clutch fingers adjusted out where I had them to start with?

One further note. Before I started the adjustment, I noted that the heads of the adjusting screws were just above the locknuts, which is how they appear in the photos I saw in the various posts while checking to see what the correct height was. When I got done setting them at 1 1/1 inch, the head of the adjusting screw was well above the locknut.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Clutch finger confusion

Postby cub47 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:17 pm

1. What is your pedal free travel set at?
2. Do you have about an 1/8" gap between the front of the clutch release bearing and the outermost point of the pressure plate fingers?
3. What is the condition of your clutch release bearing? (how much wearable surface above the retainer)
4. Is the steel rod that supports the clutch release bearing retainer worn and have grooves in it?

Here is a pic of a new bearing from TM Tractor, note the thickness above the retainer:

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/378fp.htm

Here is a good visual from Rudi's manual server about some of the things I asked above:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2057.jpg

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 pm

And I am assuming you are taking your 1 1/4" measurement from the correct location on the pressure plate:

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:20 pm

If the stock screws are in place, typically at 1 3/8 to 1 1/2, the heads will be flush with or just below the jam nut.

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:46 pm

cubguy47 is right. You also have to adjust the pedal travel. The adjustments don't leave a lot of allowance, and the pedal adjustment is no different.

Todd

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:08 am

The clutch assembly has to be installed on the flywheel to adjust the fingers. From your narrative, I gather that it was not.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 am

Thank you for the replies. No, Gary, the clutch was not bolted to the flywheel when I measured. That's probably where I went wrong. I'll make the adjustment measuring tool and re-check this week-end.

In answer to Cubguy's question, I set the free play to 1", which gave me about 1/8" clearance between the release bearing and the fingers. the bearing surface is worn down half or less, and those are the points I used to measure. I did not check the rod that holds the release bearing for grooves.

But, if I do end up having to adjust the fingers to more than 1 1/4" to get rid of the clatter, what is the downside to that (provided the free play and bearing to finger clearance is correct)? As I said, the clutch operated fine before I monkeyed with it.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17040
Tractors Owned: 1947 farmall H
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am

Quick tip put loctite on the jam nut after your adjustment.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 am

Well, I adjusted the clutch fingers to 1 1/4", and everything is fine. Discovered that a paint stirrer is the perfect thickness to check the throwout bearing to finger clearance, so there's another use for your gas guages.
Michael Cummings

Return to “Farmall Cub”