This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Will not crank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
HBSS
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36265
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1950 Cub
2010 Allmand Backhoe

Will not crank

Postby HBSS » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Hello; This is my first post. I have been reading the forum for several months and find it very informative. I bought a 1949 Cub in August. It has a 6 volt battery and generator with a coil. It runs great and cranks immediatley. A month ago I removed the hood and replaced the fuel bowl and rubber fuel line with a new steel line. I also replaced the plugs, put on a new battery box, changed the oil and put on a new oil pan gasket. I primed the oil pump and turned the motor over a few times, without pulling the switch out, to ensue the oil was pumping into the filter housing. I then tried to start it and the starter turned the motor over for about 5 seconds without cranking. I tried again and the starter turned over and then stopped. It will not turn over, even after charging the battery. I have checked the battery and it has a good charge. I have a "donor" 1950 Cub and took the starter off of it and tried it but no luck, althought I don't know if it was a good starter. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Will not crank

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 pm

new battery box; was it painted in such a way to cause a poor ground? Need to remove paint from grounding points on wiring, and battery box. In other words, remove red paint where box mounts to seat platform, and where ground strap mounts to box. I am betting on poor wiring or box connection not letting electricity flow well.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Check your battery charge and electrical connections as Rick mentioned, if that does not solve your problem, it may be the switch on your starter body, or something internally wrong within the starter. I would suggest at that point to have it bench tested by a qualified shop, there are still many technicians around who can work on the old starters, check your phone book or ask around. Starters can be rebuilt or good used units can be purchased. Good luck and report back what you find out.

HBSS
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36265
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1950 Cub
2010 Allmand Backhoe

Postby HBSS » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:18 pm

It was a grounding issue. I appreciate your help. This is a great forum. THANKS AGAIN!

hoosier
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37075

Postby hoosier » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

I installed a short ground from the pos. battery terminal to a bolt on the tranny. Both my cubs crank a lot better. Just a suggestion.

Return to “Farmall Cub”