This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How do you keep your Cub starting up when its cold?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: How do you keep your Cub starting up when its cold?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Mortgaged wrote:Nice Videos! I especially like how you took the time to go over the safety items first. Especially making sure the tractor is in neutral before cranking.
Jim is getting old and it takes him a lot longer to heal up after being run over than it used to, so he is very careful. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:40 pm

[/quote]Jim is getting old and it takes him a lot longer to heal up after being run over than it used to :lol:[/quote]
Where I used to work one of the "summer help" with no farm background started a key start cub without "shaking hands" with the gearshift. Near as I can figure, once the tractor lurched forward, he spun around to attempt a rolling mount. Once it got hold of his foot it was all over. Fortunately he was a large and strong boy who wasn't a whiner or the son of a lawyer. He had tire tracks up his right leg and across his chest to his left shoulder. He didn't do much work the rest of the day, but seemed OK after the weekend. I don't know if he knew how lucky he was it missed private parts, stomach, neck and head. He literally looked like he'd been run over by a tractor. His white "T" shirt looked the worst, with clear tread marks and holes on the back were his shoulder blades dug into the cement.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Bigdog said, having the timing set properly is the key to safe crank starting. I try to follow the rule of never crank starting anything I don't own.

A good friend of mine several years ago was at an antique construction show when an (older) guy couldn't crank start his R2 CAT. my friend, being 25 at the time, full of the exuberance and strength of youth and a lover of all things CAT, jumped right in and cranked it for him. It kicked back and shattered his arm! A year later he was 85 percent healed and told that was probably as good as it was going to get! it has not improved, unfortunately.

so if I don't own it, or didn't time it, and I don't personally know and trust the person who rebuilt the mag, I won't crank it either.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org