This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starting Fluid

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
48 BARNEY CUB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61745
Tractors Owned: 1-1948 Cub
1-1950 Demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Starting Fluid

Postby 48 BARNEY CUB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey Guys
i ran the battery down twice trying start barney i know it getting gas it wants to start should i give it a shot of starting fluid or will it hurt to do that
if i don't use to much
48 barney cub
1-48 CUB

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Starting Fluid

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Barney:

Check for good spark at all the plugs and at the coil wire, check that the plug wires are good, plugs are clean. I would probably check the metering jet (both orifices) make sure you are getting good fuel flow. If not then check the fuel circuit completely from the tank to the fuel sediment bowl to the carb inlet. Then recheck the flow. If you have flow and still no start, check the needle and cage for varnish. If then still no start, then I would use Cecil's trick - a couple shots of carb cleaner in the air inlet. Try it again, it should cough at least and then next maybe start. If it starts and runs on the cleaner but not fuel then you know you have a starvation issue still.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:49 pm

One or two shots of starting fluid wouldn't hurt. Since you ran the battery down twice, and have fuel, you have a problem in one or both areas; compression and/or ignition.

Recent history on this tractor is?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm

A Cub should start with a single yank of the hand crank. Draining the battery down with an electric starter means tune up time. Forget the starting fluid, ignition problems are usually misdiagnosed as fuel issues.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Starting fluid is acceptable to use and will cause no harm to gas or Diesels without cold weather starting aids when used sparingly and as directed.

With that said, as the others have stated, ether shouldn't be necessary to start a cub. It is a good resource to use for troubleshooting and on occasion to shore up slow cranking due to excessivley cold weather or other circumstances not normally encountered.

If starting fluid is needed frequently, it is actually becomes a bandage for the underlying problem or two or three which if corrected, will save you the cost of the fluid which is no longer .99 cents per can.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17040
Tractors Owned: 1947 farmall H
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Try taking your plugs out and spraying each cylinder with seafoam see if this helps, did on mine.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:25 am

If it keeps trying to start but won't, check for crossed plug wires or timing. Something is out of whack.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 am

lazyuniondriver wrote:Starting fluid is acceptable to use and will cause no harm to gas or Diesels without cold weather starting aids when used sparingly and as directed.

I have heard many stories of heads blowing off of gasoline engines which is one of those things I would have to see for myself. Ether does not have much energy compared to gasoline so I am wary of the "heads blowing off" stories. Should be safe to use in a gasoline engine. Starter fluid has oil mixed with the ether so I would use that rather than carb cleaner. Ether with a diesel engine is different, it can ignite well before TDC and break things.

BJ Moretz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28661
Tractors Owned: IHCC Chapter 42
1985 Ford 1310
2007 MF 1533
1942 Farmall M
1970 Farmall Cub
1946 Farmall B
1200 Cub Cadet

Postby BJ Moretz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 am

I tore down a diesel in a ford Ranger in the early 80s after a lot of troubleshooting for a miss / no combustion on #3 cylinder. I found the con rod was bent just below the wrist pin. After some questioning the owner admitted to using starter fluid. We guessed that the glow plugs came on and ignited the ether. Lucky for him they still covered it under warranty.
BJ Moretz
Member Chapter 42 IHCC
1970 Farmall Cub
1533 MF
1310 Ford
1946 Farmall B
1942 Farmall M
1200 Cub Cadet

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 am

FWIW, when I was having starting problems with my Lo-Boy, starting fluid never worked. I agree with the others, that you need to find the underlying problem. If she is trying to start but won't, my guess would be timing is off or you need new plugs (in my case, new plugs solved the problem).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Since the invention of YouTube, if ether could blow a head off, we would have all seen it by now.

Any electric cold weather starting aid used in conjunction with starting fluid will cause irreversable damage to a Diesel engine. If the use of starting fluids can be detected, the warranty won't cover the damage.

Manufacturers of some brands of Diesels recommend starting fluids when the temperature drops. Cold weather, slow cranking, and compression ignition don't mix.

The engine manufacturers also advise what has been previously posted about starting aids... They are not intended to correct deficiencies.

The picture is a paragraph from the Detroit Diesel 71 series highway service manual:
1353527842-picsay.jpg
1353527842-picsay.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Prior to the previous statement the manual reads: "Under extremely low outside temperatures, the cold oil in the bearings and between the piston and cylinder walls creates very high friction and the effort required to crank the engine is much greater than when the engine is warm. "

The general consensus which I agree with is starting fluids shouldn't be necessary for cold weather starting of a cub if all systems are in good order and the engine is in good tune.

If you need to give your cub a sniff of ether during extremely low temperatures, feel free to do so without fear of damage when used as directed.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Return to “Farmall Cub”