This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What should I do first?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pnewc21
10+ Years
10+ Years

What should I do first?

Postby pnewc21 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:48 pm

I just pulled my inherited cub from the brush. The motor is not stuck. Where should I start the rebuilding process. Never done anything like this before. It's a 1947 cub.
Thanks Paul

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:55 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome!

Start with pictures so the rest of us know what you have.

Next, do the minimum necessary to get it running again. This isn't to be cheap, but to be in a good position to evaluate the condition and determine what you think you will have to do to it.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:26 pm

Paul,

As usual, George is right. You'll have a much better understanding of what needs fixing, instead of taking the tractor apart and guessing what is functional or not. A running tractor will let you know if the engine needs rebuilding, how well the transmission and PTO operate, what parts of the electrical system (if any) are operational, if the hydraulics (if any) will work, weird noises, oil leaks, sloppy steering, etc. Pictures help you (and others) determine visually what's right or wrong as the project gets under way - you never regret taking before/during/after pictures.

Read the FAQ section here. Buy the owners manual, TC-37F parts catalog and GSS-1411 service manual from Binder Books - these 3 manuals will be the best money you'll spend toward getting your Cub up and running.

Replace all the lubes, get air in the tires, fill the cooling system with antifreeze, check out the points and plugs so you get a reliable spark to all cylinders, clean up the fuel system so you get fresh gasoline into the carb without a flood.

Good luck with the new Cub. Keep us informed as to your progress and ask questions, there are plenty of answers here.

Lurker Carl

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Cub from the Brush

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:03 pm

Only differ on one point from the two previous posters. If its still freezing at night do not do the following. Drain the cooling system, flush with clean water and install only clean water. I would not put antifreeze in the engine until I knew what's going on: radiator leaks, bad hoses, cracked block, cracked head, broken bolster. Waste of money if the antifreeze, at $6.?? a gallon, runs out on the ground or worse into the oil pan.

Also, pull the spark plugs and put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder then crank the engine over by hand several times. With the spark plugs out, crank the engine over with the starter to get the oil flowing. Crank the engine for 30 seconds, wait for while, then crank again. I would probably do this 4 or 6 times before trying to start the engine.

Check the compression. If you have any compression in all 4 cylinders, then do what ever is necessary to start the engine.

Good luck.

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:23 pm

pnewc21:

First, welcome to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

Just to pull everything together in the previous posts... this is my usual welcome. Hope you don't mind the xerox approach, but is much simpler when having to type all the url's and such.

Ok, so here is the spiel.

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's (both 1 and 2), The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub.

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only licensed IH publication reprint shop and they have the best quality.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, welcome to the Cub Family :D

Also:

Lurker Carl wrote:

Replace all the lubes, get air in the tires, fill the cooling system with antifreeze, check out the points and plugs so you get a reliable spark to all cylinders, clean up the fuel system so you get fresh gasoline into the carb without a flood.

If you go to the Manual Server and under Maintenance Tips, Jigs and Techniques you will find a bunch of informative articles such as Lurker Carl's Cub Carb Fixes, Donny Millar's Magneto Clean-up and Rebuild and even the Lubrication Tables. These should help you get cracking on your inheritance :D

Keep us posted and post some pics..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:52 pm

or you could just put it out on the lawn.....so BigDog's cub locater can get a fix on it :lol: :lol:

BD, just how did you gain this reputation :?: :?: :?:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:02 pm

artc wrote:BD, just how did you gain this reputation :?: :?: :?:

It's been a while since it began with an innocent friendly family competition for 3 Cubs at Merlin's place in LA. Bigdog was a little swifter. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:47 am

Hi pnewc21

Welcome to the form for cubs and great freinds

If you change the antifreeze you have to premix it as their is not a water pump on a cub. It will over heat since the water will not circulate if you put in anti freeze then water or vice-versa.

Your stearing gear box will have water in it since it has been out side and so will the trans. If it is freezing out do not try to shift the trans as it will break the shifting forks. Also you may want to change the fluid in the final drives.

Even though it is not stuck I would use pentrating oil in the cylinderes let soak a day turn it over soak it agin let it sit a day and once agin to free up the rings.

You will have to file the points or change them. If you change them you may be able to change the points without pulling the distributer but when I pulled out the condenser I could not get the hold down screw back in without pulling the dist. If you pull it mark exactly where the dist housing is at (center punch two marks one on the housing and one on the block) and exactly where the rotor points.

There are two screens on the fuel systom one in the top of the sediment bowl and one in the carb where the fuel line goes in.

Good luck Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Farmall Cub”