This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub for production farming

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DavidG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1972 IH Cub
1976 IH Cub
1979 IH 884
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub for production farming

Postby DavidG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 pm

A couple years ago I farmed 5 acres and bought a Cub for cultivation, which people on the forum helped me repair and learn from until I discovered it was actually a piece of junk. I found an okay Cub to replace it but sold it to a neighbor since the farm I'd used wasn't for rent again.

Next year I have an opportunity to grow some vegetables for wholesale to a CSA, an acre and a half tops of mostly 3-row beds, but also some row crops in the traditional fashion. This is basically an excuse to make a versatile implement setup and get good at using a Cub -- it's just about the perfect tractor for what I want to do. This year I've had use of a 35hp Kubota, which just isn't the same.

I'm excited. I'm also curious, who here uses their Cub for production farming? How about as a main tractor, anyone do anything more than cultivate? How do you find working with the Cub in an actual business setting?

Since this would be my actual job I'll need a Cub that I can rely on and can do the work! Good engine/compression/power, good transmission, hydraulics, governor, no leaks, no smoke. Do Cubs like this appear for sale very often? I mean, should I snatch up the first one I find, since most for-sale cubs require some work?

Thanks for your thoughts,
-David
Vegetable farming with a Cub, http://www.secondspringcsa.com

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub for production farming

Postby Former Member » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Boss hog has the perfect cub for you for sale in the for sale section
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71838

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Cubs are suitable for plowing, disking, making raised beds, cultivating, making furrows, and a number of other uses. My neighbor raises 60 acres of vegetables, for CSA, and roadside stand sales. He uses a cub, for cultivating the smaller plants. I use cubs,on about an acre of crops, and have made raised beds, with disk hillers. Preparing large areas would be done more efficiently, with a bigger tractor, but small acreage is what the cub was designed for. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I market garden on a 7-acre farm and use my Cubs for plowing the earth (and snow), disc and springtooth harrowing, cultivating, mowing, and hauling. They work just fine for me. Good luck.
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 pm

I cultivate about an acre and I do everything with my Cubs. I "turn" it in the winter, harrow,spray for weeds,plant,fertlize,spray for bugs,cultivate,pull a trailer for harvesting,and then mow it all down and start over. They are excellent little tractors for what I use them for plus I really enjoy them. :D
"I ain't believing this!"

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:44 pm

I agree with Dale. Boss's cub is a great cub for your needs. As far as implements, depending on your crops, row spacing, method of planting, etc will need to be determined to decide the proper tillage and planting tools. A standard set of front and rear cultivators would be a smart purchase. They are very universal for many crops. If you plan to direct seed, a planet Jr and a Cole 12mx would be a great start to put in most of your crops. If you want a head start, growing your produce in a greenhouse early and then plant direct once soil temperature can be a great advantage.
Last edited by tractordad on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:46 pm

This is opening a can of worms, but depending on what all you want your cub to do, you might want to consider at least a couple... Changing implements can be a pain in the butt... One tractor for mowing and snow plowing, one for plowing and cultivating... Minimize changing implements... Of course if you have a fast hitch, that makes most of the changes easier...

Mike in Gibsonia, PA
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Mike has the right idea, multible Cubs will do it. Here are several of mine getting a workout all in one day.

Last edited by Barnyard on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:18 pm

David:

I am very well known in my area for doing things with my Cubs most folks don't think a Cub is capable of. Surprise a lot of folks. Does everything from plowing, discing, harrowing, hilling, tilling, pushing snow, hauling 4 foot logs, twitching 20 and 30 foot logs and a host of other jobs around my 25 acres. Some is fields, gardens and the rest is wood lot. Cubs are very versatile and when used responsibly and within their operating envelope very capable tractors.

DavidG wrote:I'm also curious, who here uses their Cub for production farming? How about as a main tractor, anyone do anything more than cultivate? How do you find working with the Cub in an actual business setting?

Since this would be my actual job I'll need a Cub that I can rely on and can do the work! Good engine/compression/power, good transmission, hydraulics, governor, no leaks, no smoke. Do Cubs like this appear for sale very often? I mean, should I snatch up the first one I find, since most for-sale cubs require some work?

I am not a production farmer at all. The most production Ellie and Granny will get will be taking care of the Alpacas next year .. however to answer your big question ... no I would not snatch up the first one I come across. Look for one that is in good mechanical order, all there and probably has a fast hitch. That way your Cub will be a bit more versatile. Course then you will have to find some fast hitch implements which although challenging is far easier below the 49th than above ... trust me on that one :lol: Would suggest wheel weights all around as an added touch.

I do have a chum here who lives about 20 kms away who does exactly what you are proposing to do on about 20 acres. He uses a square nosed Cub and an IH 274 for all of his needs on the farm. His Cub is his primary tractor for hilling, planting and cultivating. He sells a lot of his produce at our two major local farmers markets and to local CSA's and Organic Food Stores. So yeah, I think a Cub is exactly what you need. A fast hitch Cub would get you started, but yeah I can see multiple Cubs as a good scenario -- I have 2, 2 in pieces and looking at another 1 :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:33 pm

where is the 35 hp Kubota going? check out "the Bayou Gardener" and see how he uses a larger tractor to till, cultivate, mark out rows...

Todd

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 pm

A Cub will definitely do what you're planning to do, and would be fun too. If you're mechanically inclined, you could look for an inexpensive one and spend the winter going through it, rebuilding the engine, new seals/gaskets in the rear end, etc. and getting it mechanically sound. Unfortunately, this is probably necessary if you are actually going to use a Cub for real work as it was intended. The one that Boss Hog has for sale would be an excellent candidate if you don't want to spend your winter doing that work, or if you don't have those mechanical talents. He's already been through this one and it's ready for work!

Several folks have brought up the issue of multiple implements. Taking the mower out of the equation, a single cub is perfect for farming as you describe. You really would not be swapping out implements all the time, there's a specific progression of how things would be used (typically).

You'll put the turning plow on in the fall, turning over the previous years dead crops. Winter, install the snow blade for snow removal. In the spring, install the plow again, turning over the field. Next, remove the plow, pull the disks around to break it all up. Next, install your planter and/or cultivators/disk hillers, depending on how you're planting. Then you've got cultivators on for the summer. As you can see, this is why I've taken the mower out of the picture. You're likely NOT going to switch back and forth between cultivators and a mower on a Cub. It's probaly an hour long project and fairly labor intensive, and there's no way to run both at the same time.

If you found a fast-hitch, it could speed up the changing of implements, but it would still be the same progression. Cutting your time from 30 minutes to change out standard implements, to probably 3 mintues to change out fast-hitch implements. In this case, and if you could find a fast-hitch flail mower, then you might be in business for mowing, however, you'd still have to drop the front cultivators. Probalby only take about 30 minutes to drop the cultivators and hook up a fast-hitch flail mower.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I wish I had the land to do what you're talking about. I think it would be a lot of fun. Tons of work, but still would be fun!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 pm

I am a huge fan of the Fast Hitch. But implements are only get getting scarcer. Lots can be said for a few adjustments to go from plow to disk harrow to mower....

I am also very partial to square nose (yellow) Cubs.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

DavidG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1972 IH Cub
1976 IH Cub
1979 IH 884

Postby DavidG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 am

This is all really encouraging! Thank you all for sharing your and your neighbors' experiences.
For getting the ground ready, how many passes does it really take with this tractor? Plowing of course, then disking...twice? 3x? How long a wait in between? Then spring-tooth harrowing once clods have broken down? And then ready to lay beds/plant? You use the 23A disc? I'm looking at one of those on CL soon.

Dale Shaw wrote:Boss hog has the perfect cub for you for sale in the for sale section

Oh yes, I sure had seen it there!

Hengy wrote:This is opening a can of worms, but depending on what all you want your cub to do, you might want to consider at least a couple... Changing implements can be a pain in the butt... One tractor for mowing and snow plowing, one for plowing and cultivating... Minimize changing implements... Of course if you have a fast hitch, that makes most of the changes easier...

A long-term future would definitely include more than one Cub, maybe not in the first year, but I'll keep my eye open. Changing implements is the drawback of any single-tractor farm, particularly if it's a Cub...mostly it'll be adjusting simple things like cultivators though. No mowing. A Cub I bought before had a mower, which I wouldn't want to take off and put back too often at all!

Barnyard wrote:Post by Barnyard » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:11 pm
Mike has the right idea, multible Cubs will do it. Here are five of mine getting a workout all in one day.

That video is super inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I knew the Cub can do everything after the ground's ready, and you all have convinced me it could do an okay job of ground prep too. I think the Cub I used was pretty underpowered -- I couldn't imagine it plowing and disking like that.

TJG wrote:where is the 35 hp Kubota going? check out "the Bayou Gardener" and see how he uses a larger tractor to till, cultivate, mark out rows...

It's owned by the person whose farm I'm managing this year. The hydrostatic foot pedal was pretty sweet. I would want a larger tractor to till, in the future -- and it's likely I could rent a neighbor's, but I feel safer knowing the Cub could handle it if necessary.

-David
Vegetable farming with a Cub, http://www.secondspringcsa.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 am

DavidG wrote:For getting the ground ready, how many passes does it really take with this tractor? Plowing of course, then disking...twice? 3x? How long a wait in between? Then spring-tooth harrowing once clods have broken down? And then ready to lay beds/plant?
There isn't an answer other than it's going to take a lot of passes and seat time.

Of the different single operations, plowing will take the most time. I'm just guessing, not knowing soil type, condition and plot shape, it will probably take 3 to 4 hours to plow 1 1/2 acres with a Cub. Just me, I would do the soil preparation with equipment larger than a Cub.

Some operations you can do at the same time. I disk harrow and pull a peg tooth harrow at the same time with my Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:55 am

DavidG wrote:For getting the ground ready, how many passes does it really take with this tractor? Plowing of course, then disking...twice? 3x? How long a wait in between?
'm guessing you mean how many times will you have to go over it. In my video I went over it once with the plow and immediately followed once with the disk while the soil was still easy to work with.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety