This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question For John Cub Owner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Question For John Cub Owner

Postby Bamacub » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:29 pm

I read a post where you said the tranny front bearing holder could be installed reversed & if so the shaft will move backward & forward enough for the PTO to be disengaged. I may have installed one backward, because the shaft did move enough to disgage the PTO, the coller fell off. I have put the torque tube back on, but the engine is not on yet. Do I need to go back & fix it or does it make any differance once everthing is back together ? Thanks for any help. One more quick guestion, my last post was about oil pump gears both in this engine are drive gears, both having the slot for the keyway. Big Dog was the only one who had a responce & he said if it was OK before the tear down it should be OK now. If anyone has experienced this please let me know.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:38 pm

Bamacub, If you think you have the retainer backwards, now is the time to correct it. If you do not, you will be dealing with it later.
On the oil pump, as I said, if it has been that way for a while and is working, it should continue to work. I would think that the keyway in the gear would cause excessive wear on the fixed shaft over a period of time.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:46 pm

Bamacub. While the cub is apart, take hold of the shaft and move it in and out. if it will move more than 1.4 inch, the retainer is probalby backward and will need to be reversed. it will alow the pto to slip out of gear, and will cause excessive wear on the splines from just barely catching on them.

Regarding oil pump, I answered you on the other forum you asked on. There is supposed to be 2 different gears, one keyed, and one smooth. Like BD said, I would expect the extra keyed one to cause unecessary wear on the shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”