This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Silver Wheels

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Silver Wheels

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:23 pm

Good evening, another question!
Somewhere very recently I read from a post that the rear wheels on a cub were originaly galvanised.
Did I dream it?
If I didn't dream it has anyone had their wheels re-glavanised?
If I am going to go to town on at least one of the three, why not go the whole hog and have them done. I think the fronts and weights were all red though??? :)
Pat

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:28 pm

Pat,
The rear wheels were galvanised. The front wheels were solid red and the weights are red.
I had the same question when I first got my cub.
This thread might be helpful to you:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=
Image On To Bigger Things

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:15 pm

Hi Pat,

On both of my Cubs, I used "Cold Galvanizing Compound" it's a spray on product that has zink and other ingredents. I have seen many folks paint the rear rims with silver and aluminum paint and they all look very nice too. I guess it's all a matter of your own preference.

To actaully hot dip glavanized, this is something that I plan on doing at some later date, but I have to wait until we have an order at work and send my rims in at that time. Most dipping places have a mininum setup fee and I might as well take advantage of my companies work order, but the problem is we only send off an order usually once a year, AND I already lost out for the time being. :cry:

Here's a picture on my 55 Cub LoBoy you can see what the cold galvanzing sorta looks like.

John

Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:02 am

Pat:

Here in my area we have a galavanizing plant that does corrugated pipe and such. From what I understand the cost is about $0.40/lb or about $1.00/kilo Cdn. It is cheaper the more you have.....

I am seriously thinking of having my rims done - I have 4 pair so it may be worthwhile. At least then I do not have to worry about chipping paint :!: :lol:

Ideas :idea: ideas :idea: ideas :idea: :!: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:40 am

i' considered Galvafroid, which I've used a lot in the pst on steamers and Landrovers, however, it doesn't just have the same look, it's fine if your going to cover it, in extremis i think that I'd prefer it to aluminium/silver paint,
Have to look around and see how much it costs over here, i'll let you know, thanks again for the help
pat

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:08 pm

When I called about galvanizing, the shop owner told me to be aware that it would tarnish into a dull gray, like dipped nails, and that if it was a show tractor, that might be a concern. This shop also sent out their stuff for sandblasting (if it didn't come in ready to dip), so it was fairly pricey.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:38 pm

Typical galvanizing , which is greyish and often shows crystaline patterns, won't look a lot like the original surface of the rims. I think the galvanizing used on the rims back then was a different process. Also, I am under the impression the rim companies were simply given a corrosion resistance requirement and they satisfied it in their own ways. I think they were usually handled with proprietary treatments.

Modern cad plating may look more like the originals than galvanizing. Any of several different shades of silver or aluminum colored paint will probably look more like the original than galvanizing as well.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:26 pm

Jim:

What about powder coating? Such as the tractor trailer rims get?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:30 pm

That would look good, probably better than original. You just need to pick your color.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:25 am

I'm confused now, I agree that perhaps it was not in fact galvanising, I've tried to scrape the remaining area of "silver" from one wheel and yes it seems very much harder than galvanising. So it's powder coating mebbe;
Pat