This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question for George Willer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ejhottel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Question for George Willer

Postby ejhottel » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:50 pm

George, in your post of 02 Feb, 2003 you advised that you planned to use never- seize when installing the crankshaft pulley. Then in your post of 07 Mar, 2004 you stated that anti-sieze should not be used in this procedure. Could you tell us what caused you to change your mind?
Jack Hottel

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Question for George Willer

Postby George Willer » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:36 pm

ejhottel wrote:George, in your post of 02 Feb, 2003 you advised that you planned to use never- seize when installing the crankshaft pulley. Then in your post of 07 Mar, 2004 you stated that anti-sieze should not be used in this procedure. Could you tell us what caused you to change your mind?

Jack,

I haven't changed my mind as I still plan to use Never-Seez. If I've made a post that caused any confusion, I'm sorry. I haven't been able to find the posts you cite... can you help?

My search did turn up this one and reinforces my feeling about the need for Never-Seez.

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5042&highlight=crankshaft+pulley

This was written just before the first of my emergency hospitalizations brought my shop work to a halt for the winter.

I have seen pulleys that were modified so they didn't fit tightly on the crankshaft and these are a different story. Torsional vibration will soon make them looser... and I think Never-Seez would make them wear faster.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:02 am

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:40 am

Thanks, Jim. It's much easier to explain when we have the whole story. I still think the combination of a loose fitting pulley and Never-Seez can be fatal to both a crankshaft and a pulley. I hope it hasn't caused any confusion. Yes, by all means use it on an unmodified pulley installation rather than altering the fit of the pulley. It may help avoid the situation I found as explained in the link above.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:18 am

I think this thread serves to illustrate the hazard of overgeneralizing something. There are exceptions to a lot of things. Especially deep into some of these threads, a comment that makes sense in the context may be bad advice if not taken in light of the situation.

Looking at the old pulley thread, it wasn't clear if George's comment was intended as general advice or specifc to a pulley that isn't as tight as it should be.

Depending on how loose a pulley is, there is probably a whole set of different treatments that might be appropriate. I'm not sure how I would measure the fit to decide what is best. The range could include:
1) Use never-sieze.
2) Install dry.
3) Use lock-tite.
4) Go find another pulley.

Anything other than #1 would probably be rare.

ejhottel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ejhottel » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:42 pm

Thanks guys for clearing this up. I thought never seize was a good idea but I wanted to be sure. I certainly appreciate all the good ideas that appear on this forum. Now if I can just get the #%** pulley back on. I have broken 2 1/2" threaded rods so far. Wish me luck.
Jack Hottel