This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Paint

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Paint

Postby kylev » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:30 pm

I am intrested in painting my cub the original red 2150. Here is my question. I am doing this restore slow and taking my time. The starter and generator and other small parts that I already cleaned to bare metal need to be primed now. I am not big on setting up my air sprayer for such small and few parts. I have used before "Rusty metal primer" made by rustoleum on other old parts. If I prime my starter and other small parts to keep the from rusting will this be a good enough primer to use the IT 2150 red on top of? Everyone is telling me different things to do. Some people say use the same brand primer as what paint I am going to get. Some say it doesnt matter. Even though the primer I am using is called Rusty metal primer that doesnt mean I am not cleaning the parts well. I clean them to bare metal with a wire wheel on my 4 1/2" ginder. It works really well to get down to BARE metal. There are always some small spots on certain parts that I cant get really well with the wire wheel that end up having to stay somewhat rusty but for the most part I am getting them very clean. Any help would be nice. Also, the entire motor and frame of the tractor I dont plan to get to bare metal. What should I do to get it the cleanest I can to paint on top of the old red that is there?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:29 pm

Rusty metal primer will work but you should use regular primer if you are cleaning the parts down to clean metal.
Just make sure you use a primer compatable with your top coats.
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:09 pm

I used Rustoleum 'auto' bare metal primer.

I am in the middle of a 'test' to see if the stuff is any good. Several (lots!) of parts were done in the winter when I may not have had the part/garage up to the 50 F recommended and someone told me to use starting fluid as a cleaner before priming.... so either one of those may be causing my 'adhesion' problem. (starting fluid has 'lubricant' guess I should have read the label) The paint easily nicks! I am not happy about that since I have stripped the WHOLE tractor and that primer was used on much of it. After I had the rear wheels sandblasted the guy told me to use clean metal primer with a brush (also rustoleum). So the back half is done that way. He says that you don't get good coverage with spray (rattle can) primer. The down side is that it leaves brush marks.

I prefer to prime right away after I have it down to metal and the spray was the easiest way to do it, especially since on the castings the area would be small (lots of work for a little area)

Film at 11
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:36 pm

I used the high build primer that they sold me at the PPG jobber. I have the PPG acrylic enamel. As long as its compatible there should be no problem. Maybe you could contact Rust Oleum and ask.

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:47 pm

Well I have already started with the rusty metal primer and went to CASE IH and bought the 2150 spray can red that they told me was original color. It seems to be working fine but before I paint the entire tractor I want to find out 100% if this is ok. The way I see it is if the starter, generator, water pipes, radiator mounts, and other small parts I have painted is not right then those are easy to take back off and repaint later. If it is not right and I go through all the trouble of painting the engine and entire frame then that would not be good. So before I start the frame and big parts I want to get 100% answers. I dont plan to sand down to bare metal on the frame. I want the tractor to use and not to be in a showroom so having that said, the paint is only to make it look good and keep it from rusting. Any help would be great.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:54 pm

Kyle, 2150 is the correct red. For a working tractor, your plan sounds fine to me.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:41 pm

I am planning to use mine too.... just so happened that I was jobless this winter and it was a good project. I have had a lot of fun and posed some 'easy' questions for the guys on the board.
The hard ones are going to show up when I fire it up in a week or so!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:49 pm

Cool thanks.

Return to “Farmall Cub”