This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

removing rear wheel weights

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jmageras
10+ Years
10+ Years

removing rear wheel weights

Postby jmageras » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Well, I started her up today. placed the hood/fueltank assembly on a tall cart and secured it in a way that it was a little higher than when installed on the tractor. I ran a long length of fuel line, cleaned the strainer, gave it a little choke and VAVOOM! Started right up and runs beautifully. It is once again a 6 volt system and charging as it should. Assuming the oil guage is OK, the oil pressure is great. Having the hood like this is a nice way to work on the tractor (tune ups, etc.) although I imagine you have all done this many times.

BTW, I also have NAPA fuel filter inline and it does not appear to starve the engine. I'm not sure what it will do under load.

And another thing, cleaning out the oil filter resevoir make a huge difference in how clean the oil stays. Mine was so sludged up that it would not drain out. Once the kerosene worked thru, I just kept flushing it until it was extremely clean. I ran the tractor for quite a while today and the oil stayed very clean. That was not the case before.

Anyway, I am curious as to some of your methods for removing rear wheel weights. At 150lbs each, I don't think I can handle it well on my knees or bent over. One idea I have is placing a 2x10 piece of lumber, perhaps 4-6' long on the rim as a ramp. Then I can drop the weight on it and slide it down.
What do you think? How do you do it? Thanks, Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:17 pm

Congrats on getting your Cub running! :D

re: wheel weight R&R

- I use a floor jack. I made a little ramp out of 2X6's to roll the weight up onto the pad on the jack. Even with that it takes some UMPH, plus, I stay outta the path of gravity just in case! :wink:

re: the sludge in crankcase & such

- Lots of guys used the non-detergent oils in engines all the time. Works good if you stick with it. If you switch to a detergent type; it begins to clean the insides up, hence the dirty oil all the time.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:18 pm

you can remove the tire and the rim as one unit, and then break down the weight.
i use an engine hoist...so i cheat
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Gary L.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17252
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Gary L. » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:34 pm

I remove 2 weight mounting bolts opposite each other and insert two 1/2'x36" steel rods in the holes through the weight and wheel center, then with a helper to hold the rods you remove the other 2 bolts, then work the weight out on the rods far enough to each grab the rod from the backside and lift off, reverse the procedure to install..(OH do this with the valve stem up just in case!!).Gary L
Gary L.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:42 pm

Good to hear about the engine running so well for you, that's always a huge relief.

On the wheel weights, this is going to be my plan of attack. I have several options at hand. BUT this is what I am going to use, (I think) I have a ATV/motorcycle lift, that I am going to make a arm that will bolt onto the that will fit on the inside of the center hole. I then can set the the weight in the upright postiton then roll the lift and lift it up and bolt it on. It's a plan at lest, if that don't work then I Go to the next plan, use my cherry picker.

John Niekamp
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:13 pm

My garage has an exposed truss framed ceiling. I draped a short chain over a horizontal beam, hooked a come-along to it, and after threading a sling thru the weight (after loosening the bolts to get some clearance), hooked the two looped ends of the sling to the bottom end of the come-along. It was simple to lower it to the floor. I used the same technique to remove the final drives.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

jmageras
10+ Years
10+ Years

and the walls came tumbling down...

Postby jmageras » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:45 pm

Paul_NJ wrote:My garage has an exposed truss framed ceiling. I draped a short chain over a horizontal beam, hooked a come-along to it, and after threading a sling thru the weight (after loosening the bolts to get some clearance), hooked the two looped ends of the sling to the bottom end of the come-along. It was simple to lower it to the floor. I used the same technique to remove the final drives.

You know, I thought of doing this very thing. However, I'm afraid I will yank the whole garage down. It is old, tired, and a longtime source of nutrition for various critters. Thanks to all for the great ideas!

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: and the walls came tumbling down...

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:15 pm

You know, I thought of doing this very thing. However, I'm afraid I will yank the whole garage down. It is old, tired, and a longtime source of nutrition for various critters. Thanks to all for the great ideas!

First time doing this I was concerned as well. I slid a 4x4, 6 feet long, over the top of several rafters and attached the comealong to that. In this way the load was shared by several crossmembers. It also allowed me to move the chain laterally to be right over the weight (or final drive).
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Farmall Cub”