This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ebay scam

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Ebay scam

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:12 am

I recetly sold a cub on Ebay. while I was gone to deliver it I received one phone call and two email mesages from people that had received second chance offer saying the buyer had turned it down, and offering it to them for their highest bid. The email did not have my username or email address on them. I told the people to forward the emails to spoof@ebay.com.

If you receive a similar offer, view it cautiously.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:57 am

John,

I've been getting a lot of similar messages, and have forwarded about a dozen to spoof@ebay.com without opening them. They always reply with a thank you note and indicating that the messages are fraud. We already knew that! :roll:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:16 pm

I listed a moldboard plow on antiquetractors.com recently and received an e-mail from a guy who, at first, seemed generally interested in the plow. After I sent him JPEG's and negotiated a price, he e-mailed me back to tell me he would be sending me $5,000 to pay for the plow and cover shipping to England and that a colleague of his would arrange shipping through several of his international contacts. It had all the earmarks of a scam; poor spelling and punctuation, an overseas buyer, and a ridiculous overpayment.

Needless to say, I sent him back a message that would have made George S. Patton proud.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Gents and Gentesses.....

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:19 pm

There are more of the same type of e-mail messages on the internet right now than you can shake a stick at. Many are from banks, e-bay, pay-pal, etc. These messages are what are referred to as "phishing". DO NOT under any circumstances give them any kind of accounting information. That is exactly what they want you to do. In the past two days, I've received at least ten of these kinds of messages, and I know I do not have any accounts with the sender in question. So, beware friends!

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:45 pm

I received several of those phishing emails last summer. I know I forwarded at least five obvious scams to spoof@ebay.com. Have not received anymore since last fall. I believe ebay has increased the level of their security since then. Wonder how they got John's email addr. though...Thought only the buyer could get it now?
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:24 pm

Ebay will NEVER EVER EVER contact you via email to update ANYTHING. Says so right on their site. Anything that claims to be from ebay that asks you to update your information is FAKE, period.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Arizona Mike wrote: Wonder how they got John's email addr. though...Thought only the buyer could get it now?
The cammers didn't have my email address, they sent the bidders a different one. The bidders were the ones that contacted me to verify the offfers, and they sent the messages via Ebays. "Ask seller a question".
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:09 pm

One good thing about my ISP is that they are pretty good about filtering out junk. I just looked in the 'spam detector' directory (only online, never see the mail on my machine) and there was 2 from PayPal in there.

They are good about filtering spam, but occasionally they filter stuff I want, like my fishing license and statements from legitimate (government no less) entities. Those did not show in the spam detector.

Yep, millions of people in the world... the net just makes it easier for some folks to con the masses. No need to come to town with the snake oil now.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”