This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1st and reverse

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

1st and reverse

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:43 am

Hi it's me again, questions questions!
N°2, 706575, has a pronounced graunching, grinding, rumbling, grumbling, worn out sound in 2nd and reverse. 2nd and third are silent in operation.
I took the top off the gearbox with the gear lever attached and found that the change selector was loose on it's shaft. Great I though that's it, tighten up and try again. No just as noisy.
Can you help please?
Another Question should the gearbox be only half full of a brown emulsiony, runny sludge or do cubs have the right to have real oil in their boxes? Whilst at it, what grade of oil?

Thanks again and a big thank you to Big Dog who has offered to host a few photos for me, he will then upload them so perhaps you can see a bit of what's going on in Finistère.
Patrick

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:51 am

Patrick, drain the sludge, pour some kerosene or diesel fuel in the case and run the cub around a bit to loosen the sludge. Then drain, flush again and refill with 90 weight gear oil. There is a level plug on the left side of the transmission case. The proper amount of lube is 3 1/2 pints. The noise in your transmission may be a worn 1st / reverse slider gear.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:55 am

Hello Pat, from one Frenchman to another....well almost. My mother was French, and I spent my summers about 90 miles north of you in Baule. La Ferte Allais was the village where my Mother was from.
Anyhow, yes, should be clean 90 weight gear lube in the transmission, or some equivilant. It sounds as if you have the typical water, dirt, and gear oil combination found in most used cubs. However, it does sound like you may have a worn out 1st/REV slider gear. I too had a grinding whine in 1st and rev. A new slider gear solved the problem.
Do you have pictures to post?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:01 am

First, welcome to the board.
Check the bearings on the reverse counter shaft gear located in the left lower part of the transmission. If it has water in the transmission thye tend to rust badly.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Photos

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:20 am

hr's49cub wrote:Do you have pictures to post?

Thanks to Big Dog yes I do, look at his post titled "Patrick's Cubs", I will get organised to have some others posted; and thanks for the advice, i'm on my way out to the shed now. Patrick

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:42 am

hr's49cub

just curious
was your avatar's pict taken at the air meeting of La ferté Allais?
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:16 am

Hi Patrick

Just a side note. In the trans under the shifter cover on the front and back of the castings over the input and out shafts. There are two 1/8" holes I asume are to catch splash oil and direct it to the bearings. Mine were full of gunk and metal shavings. I blew it out with carb cleaner so the oil could flow into it. I almost put mine together without seeing them so I thought I would bring it to your attension.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Gunk in oilways

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:12 am

Cowboy wrote:Hi Patrick

Just a side note. In the trans under the shifter cover on the front and back of the castings over the input and out shafts. There are two 1/8" holes I asume are to catch splash oil and direct it to the bearings. Mine were full of gunk and metal shavings. I blew it out with carb cleaner so the oil could flow into it. I almost put mine together without seeing them so I thought I would bring it to your attension.

Billy

Thanks Billy, I'll certainly do that! Experience is good to shere, thanks Patrick

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:14 am

yaume wrote:hr's49cub

just curious

No, it is really my three taken at the home of previous owner near Limoges, Pat

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:19 am

YES! At Cerny. My mother was a school mate of M. Salis. As a youngster, I played many hours at that airfield before it became what it is today. 8)

I still have family in La Ferte Alais.

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:33 am

hr's49cub wrote:

YES! At Cerny. My mother was a school mate of M. Salis. As a youngster, I played many hours at that airfield before it became what it is today. 8)

I still have family in La Ferte Alais.

Well, I don't know anybody in La Ferte, but I used to play with remotecontroled model planes as I was younger. There is an annual meeting in La Ferte where the biggers compete. that's how I know the airfield (as a spectator only...).

Their "oldflyers" collection is impressive...
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

Return to “Farmall Cub”